Sky Installation

Mahons

Hi All,

Looking at getting sky installed, sick and tired of NTL. Just wondering; we don't have a phone line in the sitting room. Sky say they will install one. but I don't want a wire exposed running along side the skirts and the girl in the call centre didn't know much apart from the fact they will install a cable. Has anyone had sky install there telephone cable? and if so did they do a clean job of it.

An alternative might be a wireless phone socket, has anyone tried one?

Thanks

Mahons

From my experience Sky just leave you to it in regards to the phone cable - they only drop the feed from the dish - they do want a phone line plugged in at least for the first 12 months - I think I remember reading on www.avforums.com that you can pay extra to NOT have to have a phone cable - reason being they reckon the advertisers want you to go interactive, and they subsidise the cost of the digibox on the assumption tat you might press the red button once in a while :)

You could chance not plugging the phone cabe in though and see what happens ;) You might get an annoying letter or two every so often, saying that its part of your contract to keep it connected .

One thing for sure, you can definitely ditch it after your 12 months is up anyway :)

I told the guy installing mine that I didn't want a phone line running around the walls and he said just to have one there for the installation, so I ran an extension from the hall into the living room for the 5 minutes it took to install. After that I only plugged it in about once a month if I was buying a soccer game or movie. I've never gotten a letter from Sky about it, or been charged extra.

Thanks for that. I'll run a cable extension form the hall for installation and go from there.

Mahons

Hi,

Is there anyway of connecting the sky box wirelessly if I have a wireless router on my computer system.

Rujib

From what i remember the guy who installed ours only needed to be connected to the phone line to actually install the system. He had an extra long one which extended from the hall to sitting room and when he left he took his phone cable with him and we never had to plug anything into the phone line. If we are ordering movies etc we just phone them up and they do it for us.

If you just want the basic SKY package (not plus) you don`t need a phone line. You must then, however, pay a fixed charge of I think €37.50 which is a bit sneaky.

Back