Sky HD+

NiallP

What are people's thoughts on Sky HD+? Is it worth the extra investment. I don;t know anyone who has it, so i'd be delighted to hear from people who have got it installed?

Cheers

Not now, not enough extra channels to justify the extra cost, i would wait for it to mature a bit first and then consider it but now i think it more money for very little and i'd be the first to jump the HD bandwagon working in IT, but sky HD, no.

I just signed up for a Sky + upgrade, free box with €100 installation with no increase in subscription if have 2 premium channels (sports and movies). But when i asked about HD they wanted €225 for the box and €100 installation with €15/month extra subscription (doesnt matter which package they still charge this). So for now it way over priced, I wanted it because I have an HD TV but the price and subscription are too high. Even when you have already paid for Sports and Movies they want to charge you a second time for the same channel just to view it in HD! Madness.

Even on the HD channels, not all the content is broadcast in HD, so deffinitely worth waiting.

john_m, did you have any special deal to get the Sky+ box free?

Thanks for your replies. Its pretty much what i was thinking - although it would be nice to have for watching sport!

On another point, does anyone know if Sky are still running their "recommendation" offer where someone who recommends a friend to get Sky can get a Sky+ box for free (with the new customer getting a Sky+ box for half price)?

No special deal. In the last week or so Sky have released new deals to their agents where they will upgrade existing customers to sky+ with a free box (just pay installation) and they reduced the cost of the HD box by 50% to €225 + installation. I signed up last Sat, they are offering the same deal to new customers too. This deal was available at a desk in a shopping centre.

Hi, have hd so can comment, is pricy alright but the hard drive is bigger than Sky+ boxes so you can record a lot more programs, also if you have a HDTV then you will enjoy what it's capable of, best bit about it is that all the Standard Defination (SD) channels are greatly improved via HDMI connection so all the main channels are a lot better.
If you have an existing home cinema sound setup then most of the HD channels broadcast in 5.1 which is uncomparable to stereo broadcasts, its soooo much better.
Re Sport, the world cup was jaw dropping, the difference unreal
If you do not have a suitable TV then not worth it.
I doubt Sky will ever drop the €15 HD sub

I have sky hd, if you have a hd ready tv then its a must have, it brings your tv to life, its €15 extra for the hd channels, I know its pricey but we watch hd content most nights - Lost was broadcast on Sunday past in hd, BBC Hd is good too, they show Torchwood, Robin hood, Planet Earth, Strictly Come Dancing in Hd amongst others ,(although RoI customers can't record from it:(), movies are good, but the football in HD with dolby 5.1 surround sound is fantastic. So would recommend it, the difference in quality is worth it.

Thanks for your replies. I've ordered Sky+ rather than HD. I rang Sky as the site doesn;t accept Laser. The agent told me that they still are running their "recommendation" promotion - even though it isn;t mentioned on their site. Apparently it is only available over the phone.

You get a sky+ box half price and whoever you say recommended you gets either:

1: A free Sky+ box (which will cost 75 euro to install) or
2: A cheque for 75 euro.

Quite a nice little deal (especially coming up for christmas) My brother is getting sky in his place, so he's going to say i recommended him. That will leave me with a sky+ system installed and ready to go for 75 Euro - i.e the price of half a sky+ box

Back