Sky - Extending Signal to Second Decoder

Niallymac

I have a Sky Digital subscription, and use a UK Freeview Card to watch ITV/CH 4 etc ( I just swap cards when I want to want to watch something on the other side)

I now want to get a second decoder, and run the satelite input signal into a second room, so if i want to watch footie and Mrs Mac wants to watch ITV, we don't have to lock horns.

My question : Can i run some sort of extension from my main Sky decoder to my number two decoder, which will just send the unscrambled input from the dish to the second decoder ( allowing me use my card to watch it), or do i need to get a twin LNB and run two seperate signals from the dish itself.

As far as I know you'll have to go down the twin LNB route as a separate signal is needed for each decoder. For example, the sky+ box needs 2 feeds from the satelite dish - 1 to watch a programme normally and the other to record a different programme at the same time as the one you're currently watching.

lemeister said:
As far as I know you'll have to go down the twin LNB route as a separate signal is needed for each decoder. For example, the sky+ box needs 2 feeds from the satelite dish - 1 to watch a programme normally and the other to record a different programme at the same time as the one you're currently watching.

100% correct. You cannot split the signal. You have to go back to the signal source. So where the little box is that sits in front of the dish is, you need to get a dual LNB(2 lines out) or quad(4 lines) and this needs to feed your other box...

hi.....

the only way you can link up ur extra sky box is to fit a Dual LNB at the dish and run a second cable from the dish to the new location of the extra box

Happy Viewing!!

Back