Sky Digital

JMR

We have the basic NTL package, not NTL digital.
In the past 2 weeks we have experienced 4 breakdowns in service at peak times.
This disruption, added to NTL's deplorable customer service has prompted me to consider switching to another provider.
The general concensus seems to be that you can't beat Sky Digital, any opinions?
Also is it true that I will lose UTV if I switch or, as I have read in old threads, is there a way to manually tune in UTV and other channels?
Also have BT broadband, does this cause a problem with Sky needing a phone line to work?
The last question I have may sound completely stupid, do I need a satellite dish along with the Sky box inside the house?

Many thanks

The general concensus seems to be that you can't beat Sky Digital, any opinions?
Why not consider FTA satellite for a once off payment for the gear and installation even if you may not get some of the same channels as cable? Check out boards.ie:

[broken link removed] > Tech > Cable & Digital TV > Satellite
The last question I have may sound completely stupid, do I need a satellite dish along with the Sky box inside the house?
For a SKY satellite TV setup - yes. For SKY on digital cable - no.

I've got BT broadband and Sky satellite and experienced no problems at all.

You can tune the sky box to get UTV. It won't appear in the on-screen program guide, but it is available (as is BBC3, BBC4, etc). If you opt for Sky+ (which includes a recorder), you can't record programs on UTV on it. However you can record programs on TV3 which shows some programs simultaneously with UTV.

I'm also looking at the Sky option, currently use Chorus............!

One query though: does anyone know why Sky insist that you keep your phone line connected to their set top box?...phone connection is in hallway and don't want cables being run unnecessarily!

thanks

I'm also looking at the Sky option, currently use Chorus............utter !

One query though: does anyone know why Sky insist that you keep your phone line connected to their set top box?...phone connection is in hallway and don't want cables being run unnecessarily!

Previously discussed. Also note, , self censored or otherwise are not allowed.
Leo

Back