Sky Digital

Sarah

Hi all

I know that if you apply to subscribe to Sky digital before the end of Aug you get 3 months half price viewing and a free box but just wondering if anyone knows if first time subscribers get the free installation and free digi box anyway as the new house wont be ready before Aug!

Thanks a mill

Yip you do. Standard install is free and provided you pay your bill for 12 months you then get to own the box.
Just keep in mind that the above is for people with a fixed telephone line...i.e. you need to conect the box for 12 months to a telephone line. Many installers will let you around this but you then have to pay them circa 100 euro.

Check the below as well...Eicom are running an offer so that you can connect to them for free when taking out Sky. Not bad if you want both....the feckers started it about 3 weeks after I got both in. If the link doesn't work then go to eircom homepage and the offer is in the middle of the page..

Link removed because it was screwing up the page display. Can you try posting it again as a rather than a URL please? Thanks. ClubMan.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the box connects via the phone (not sure if it calls out or something calls in) to verify that it is connected and for software (firmware) updates.

mmclo said:
What's the phone got to do with the digibox??

You need to use it to order pay per views, like one off wrestling/boxing matches. You need it for submitting your view in an interactive poll. You need it for Sky Box Office movies.

Of course in reality you don't need it at all, but Sky are hoping you will use it interactively to make them more money...

Can't report the full Eircom link as it includes session variables in URL. So http://www.eircom.ie

I thought that it was also used as I described above for checking that the receiver/decoder is connected and for software updates?

Software updates are made via satellite signals (as I have had done on one occasions after my favourites screwed up) and new cards. The telephone line is purely for buying pay-per-view events or box office films.

ClubMan said:
I thought that it was also used as I described above for checking that the receiver/decoder is connected and for software updates?

thats why you can disconnect it after 12 months and your system will work on no worries. Of course, you can disconnect it 10 mins after the installer leaves but you are breaking your contract. Not aware of Sky disconnecting anyone for it.

However, if you have Multiroom you MUST have all boxes connected to the phone line. This is because multiroom is only 15 euro per extra box. So lets say you had full 63 euro package...to get a second box for same package is only 15 euro....so total cost of 78 euro a month....so less than 40 euro per box.
But of course you could try and be smart and go halves with your mate and put the second box in his gaff and just pay the 39 euro each a month between ye...hence the use of the phoneline to ensure they are both in same location.
Of course if you were good friends with your next door neightbour you could get around this by looping a telephone extension into their house. I presume someone out there has it done...

Back