SKY+ cabling

swally

I live in an apartment and can get SKY through a 3rd party provider (communal dish), I rang the installer and asked about the possibility of getting SKY+ he said it isn't possible as the apartments are not cabled for it!!!, I find this very unusual and have never heard of anyting like it. Could he be telling the truth or should I get the SKY installed then go to SKY direct and ask about getting SKY+ in!!!!

Sky+ needs two feeds from the dish. From what I hear it's pretty standard that this isn't available where using communal dishes.
Leo

You need two feeds directly to the LNB on the dish to record properly with sky plus.

I have a second sky + with only one feed and a work around I use is to ask the box to record two programmes at the same time but with the one you want to watch starting slightly later.

The box will then try to record programme 1 on the spare input port and the second recording will then default to the wired input port.

When you go to view you will get a message on recording 1 saying "recording failed" but the second recording will have recorded.

A right pain in the h*** but it is possible in the short term.

Also the pause and rewind functions on live tv work just fine.

Did a search and found the answer to my problem here. Thanks Highflyer, works exactly as you said. Not sure if it’s worth the effort, although live recording seems fine.

We recently ordered sky + to only to find that the TV points are not wired correctly. The satellite input is fine, but the 2nd input (wall) appears locked on the services menu.
The sky installers are coming back this week to check it out, but Id say they will just tell me that the issue is ours.
Would an electrician fix this?

Back