Sky + Box

Smashbox

We've had a Sky + box for just over a year now.

A few months ago, it went on the blink, not recording programs and saying 'technical fault' or 'clashed' when there was nothing wrong at all.

A repair man was booked and the person on the phone said they would send out a signal to try and repair it. The next day, all recordings went smooth and for the rest of the week it was fine. We then cancelled the call out, as the machine was going fine.

Now, a couple of months later, the same thing is happening. Recordings aren't going ahead because of 'technical fault' and so we rang Sky again.

The lady on the phone was horrible, very rude and giving out that we had cancelled before. We explained that the problem had fixed itself. She then said the fee would be €50 to get a call out and a 'reconditioned' box. Now, we had a letter yesterday offering us a Sky+ with HD Box for €75, so my partner pointed this out, saying for €25 extra we could get a brand new HD box, as opposed to a reconditioned one.

She basically said that that was a lie, and that we couldnt get that. I mean, my boyfriend had the letter from that very day in his hand!

Anyway, we now have a repairman coming Saturday. We're kinda annoyed at having to pay this guy €50 for a reconditioned box. Our own box is just over a year old, theres no kids in the house messing with it, it simply sits on a shelf under our TV.

Would it be worth complaining about this? Has this happened to anyone elses box? And will the reconditioned one work for a while and then give in too?!

Don't take a repair if you can get a new box with HD for €25 extra .The reconditioned box could be years old for all you know

Your contract with Sku is only for a year so nothing to stop you taking out a new contract and getting a new Sky+ box. Plus new box should be under warranty for a year.....

Thats what I done when they wanted to charge for calling out!!! No probs, get someone to recomend you as a new customer, 75euros each for your troubles..
[broken link removed]

I never thought about that, about the contract being up and stuff.

Many thanks for your replies, I will talk to the OH about this..

Back