Sky: €75 cheque when you introduce a friend

nolo77

Has anyone availed of this offer? I did and I received a cheque which I duly lodged - a euro cheque drawn on an English bank. Today, my bank phoned me to say that it could take weeks for it to reach my account as it has to be physically posted to Barclay's Bank (I think) and they will pay it electronically to my bank, and only then my account will be credited. Oh, and there will be fees involved, of course! All for €75.00.......

I got 2 x €75 cheques from Sky this year, lodged them without any difficulty or charges.

I had a difficulty with a cheque I received as part of the Nespresso promotion - euro denominated & drawn on a UK bank. The EBS (who I banked with at the time) refused to accept it because their computer system couldn't read one of the numbers at the bottom - started with 5 and should have been 3 or something like that.

Had to send the cheque back to the UK and got credit on my coffee account instead.

Gipimann, thanks for taking the time to reply. I have spoken to Sky since posting and explained my case and asked if I returned the cheque to them, would they credit my sky account with €75 instead. The guy I spoke to said that he was unaware of any problems with the cheques being lodged in Ireland and but gave me the address of their customer services department in Scotland. He said that if I returned the cheque with a covering letter, they probably would credit my account. So, I'm going to try that.

Might be worth following up with the bank first, is it one of the smaller players?

I lodged the €75 cheque, drawn on a UK bank, through Bank of Ireland and no problems, the money was credited to my account straight away.

Thanks Pator. It seems to be a big deal for AIB! They say that because there is no euro clearing system in operation, that any euro cheque drawn on a foreign bank must be posted back to its country of origin. I think I'll get my cheque back and take it to BOI. I might have more luck there.

Back