skoda roomster/ octavia

coleen

Hi looking to buy a family type saloon car. I have been looking at the skoda octavia and the roomster ,has anyone got a roomster ? any opinion on either car.I am hoping to buy a 2005/2006 octavia. but the roomster is 2007. How do I value these cars. I will be buying it straight.

www.revenue.ie will give you values under the vrt calculator.

I know nothing about the Roomster, but a lot of people wax lyrical about the Octavia, it's big boot, and value.

I think they are cheap and a bit nasty tbh. The 1.4 is almost dangerously slow, and the 1.9 tdi is old technology - unrefined.

I have to say that one should compare the "cheap and nasty" Octavia to the other cars offered by more "respected" brands to get a more rounded view.

The 05 on Octavia is a much improved offering, fixing all the problems I had with the original - namely improving the drive, the rear legroom and increasing the size of the already enormous boot.

you can get a good guide on what both cars are selling for by looking on carzone.ie..

i bought 2 new octavias, one in 2000 and one in 2003 drove both for about 2.5 yrs... bought the diesel 1.9 TDI... very comfortable car...very economical, powerful, roomy, good value for money... got a lot of extras as standard with this car... VW are mean in what they offer as standard, basically have the same engine...

changed for a renault megane cabrio... which i am now going to change, and the octavia / superb is in the shorlist!

Have had an Octavia since 1999. They were quite closely based on VW Golf/Bora - newer ones aren't quite so closely related - but seem larger. The size is mainly accounted for in the huge boot.

Mine has been v.reliable tho have been quite particular about getting it serviced/repaired when necessary and this does cost more. I like driving it even if Toyota-driving girlfriend thinks it's a bit tank-like. Think VW and you won't go far wrong.

If you need a lot of luggage space, I think you'll thank the day you got an Octavia. They seem to be getting pricier now so take the standard version and don't bother with all the options or the fancier trim levels. If you carry a lot of passengers, I think its a little on the tight side.

Was looking at the Roomster last week in the dealership - seems v. er... roomy! Not so sure myself about the look of all these van-style derivations but I'm sure its v.practical.
P