Skoda Octavia 1.6 FSI

TomTomOne

Hi All,

I am thinking of buying a used Skoda Octavia. Loads of the Octavias on sale are pretty puny 1.4's. There are 1.6's available but not that many. Looking in the North and in Britain there are 1.6 FSI engines available. These don't seem to be available in the Republic. The FSI seems to be a more efficient and powerful engine. I am tempted to go North and buy a 1.6 FSI.

However I have a worry. If these engines haven't been sold in the republic might I have problems with servicing/maintenance etc? Or is the technical difference insignificant between the FSI and non FSI when it comes to most servicing/maintenance etc.

Thanks for any help.

I have an Octavia 1.4 for 2 years. The good point is I can get up to 47 mpg. On a run, which is excellent for such a large car. It is under powered for overtaking (you cannot have it both ways) but is good for cruising on the motorway at 75 to 80 mph once it get moving. Handling is excellent. The boot is enormous. As part of the VAG group (VW, Audi, etc) they are prone to coil pack failures, mine has failed twice, so I had all 4 replaced, although I think the later coil packs could be more reliable. They have a problem with the doors refusing to open and fickled electrical faults which makes me want to get rid of mine. Yesterday my rear wiper would not work today it is OK. A few weeks ago the passenger door switch would not work, and then it corrected itself. They are not the most reliable car around but make up your own mind. I don't think the larger engine size is going to cause a problem, the deisel is a bit quicker than the 1.4