Skirting - Fee for varnishing

cormacol

I'm buying a new house and as part of the deal i was given the choice of having my skirting painted white or stained. I wanted it stained but now i have been told this will cost 2k extra.

Does this seem excessive?

Does the contract make any reference to additional charges for staining?

Can you get a quote from someone not connected with the builder?

It seems like a lot of money to me, but I don't have anything to compare against.

I slipped up on this with my own gaff. Someone put me straight on it but it was too late at that stage.

Before you do anything, you need to go round there with a straight edge and see if the walls are straight. Maybe theyve got a dodgy plasterer on the job who has messed up.
The builders are asking for a ridiculous amount because they want to put you off the idea. It suits them to have white skirting. When the skirtings in and theres gaps between wall and skirting, they will fill the gaps with filler - so their mistakes are less noticeable.

Furthermore, its a lot more hassle to keep skirting painted as opposed to having it stained.

And lastly, are you doing the flooring or are they? If your getting the house without flooring and are considering putting in wood or laminate flooring, then this should be done before the skirting goes in. Timber flooring contracts and expands so a gap must be left - this gap will not be seen if its hidden by the skirting - and this makes a far better job of it.
In my case, I wasnt up to speed on this and will have to rip out all the damn skirting, do the flooring, then replace with new stained skirting.
Think how much extra hassle this will be - and you will be well motivated to tackle the builder on this.

2k is crazy for 1 tin of varnish , 1 brush, 2 rolls of masking tape and 3-4 hours work. It is such an easy job to do yourself. Ask the builder to leave the skirting unpainted.

Dead right, that's daylight robbery. You could probably get mahogany skirtings fitted and stained for that price. Just to varnish them? thats unbelivable.

THats what i thought and i intend to do it myself if they insist

Thanks for your replies

2K is a ripoff but there is quite a lot more to varnishing woodwork than you may think sanding between coats is a must for a quality finish and most timber work should take three coats two at the very least.
Satin Finish varnish is the way to go much easier to work with than gloss varnish, slightly sand between coats and you should get a ************************* finish.
Good Luck ;)

[broken link removed]

We got a complete 4 bedroom house ,inside & out including wooden floors upstairs and all skirting and window sills done for 2,500...
And that was a competitive quote....

That builder is probably trying the same trick with all the new home owners....Lets hope the have some sense

As this was supposed to be covered in the original deal, tell the builder that you're doing it yourself and are deducting a suitable amount from the total...
Leo

Back