Skirting Bow window...

Kerrygold

Hi,

Currently fitting skirting to a house we're renovating. We have a bow window that is causing some difficultly trying to curve the skirting around. We've tried breaking the skirting up into about 6 sections, and cuttings lines into the back to make it more flexible, but with no success. Our carpenter has suggested getting MDF, but as we are going for a varnish finish and the mis match between the detailing, I'm not anxious to go this route. I could try putting weights on a length of skirting, but doubt I would get the correct curve. Anyone have any ideas? Steaming the timber would be the best approach, but don't have that facility to hand.

Cheers.

You have a number of options when trying to curve trim like this, as follows:
1. Kerfing the back, as you suggest.
2. Cutting the material to profile from solid stock and shaping and moulding the required moulding detail later.
3. Steaming moulded stock to suit.
4. Laminating- cutting a a series of thin laminates and using a form to glue this together to match your profile. Finally, moulding the detail you require when the glue is set.

Option 4 is probably best for your route given that you wish to varnish the end result. Steaming only works with suitable timbers which are elastic, such as ash. However laminating is a lot of work for a small job and if the window is a one-off I would try and find another solution. Have you thought about altering the detail at the window- You don't have to use the same complex skirting at this feature. The window can be treated as a focal point and you could opt to use a simpler moulding at the base- one which may be more amenable to kerfing? Also you can build up your skirting using plant-ons which will simplify the process.

Just a thought.

Cheers for the quick response Carpenter.

Given the complexity of the situation, more than likely I will end up simplifying the detail... May go for the MDF, but paint it the same colour as the wall so as to blend it in....