Skirting board radiators... Good or bad?

J

Jetskib

Hello,
I am considering changing the radiators in my living & dining room as I felt during this past winter that the rooms were very cold even with the heat on (both rooms open into eachother) and in the course of deciding what radiators I would like to use, I came across using 'skirting board heating'.
Has anyone heard anything about this method ? I am just wondering how effective and efficient this is in light of the BER coming down the line in 2009.
I only moved in to this house in November 2006. Perhaps skirting board heating would be better than spending money on radiators.

Prone to damage I'd imagine, I'd also be worried about "pattern staining" of the walls...

I presume that these are miniature radiators so you would need to check if they were suitable for heating the sort of space involved.

We still have the skirting rads which were in place when we bought the house 20 odd years ago. Ours look quite industrial but are very effective.

Only downside with ours, and the modern ones are probably different, is that you can't put furniture right up against the wall as the rads stand about 4 inches proud of the walls.

Go here to check out some skirting board radiators that look really nice and much more slim line, nothing like the bulky 20-year old versions: www.discreteheat.co.uk . These are 15 cm high, whish is the height of a normal skirting board, or 20 cm if you want the ecofriendly version that works at 40 centigrade. I don't know how thick the boards are but I am considering installing them at home. Will keep you posted.

They sound like a good idea to me as they would in theory spread heat around more evely. Easier that under-floor heating to maintain/fix tooo I'd imagine.

Hi Reijonen, in accordance with the posting guidelines, could you confirm whether you have any association with the above company and the one mentioned here?
Thanks,
Leo

I've been trying to find out a little more about this sytem too. They would be useful in a conservatory or on a island unit in a kitchen. I believe the profile is less than 4" but l can't see them being anything less than 2".
Their is also a supplier in Dublin [broken link removed]

I do not have any commercial connection with the skirting board radiators but they are v. good. A bit more expensive to buy initially, but probably worth it for 1 or 2 good rooms in the house.

My friends in England built a new house outside London and got quotes from various companys, they went with a company called Climaboard and find them excellent. They may have an agent here.

[broken link removed]