Skirting Board Heating

tipperary

Just wondering if anybody has experience of skirting board heating? the suppliers claim it has many benefits, e.g. the room is heated evenly, healthy type of heat, instant heat etc. Do these claims stand up to scrutiny? Is this type of heating worth the extra expense over and above radiators? Is there any issues with having radiators in some rooms and skirting board heating in others?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

We have old skirting radiators inthe ground floor of our hose with normal radiators everywhere else.

In terms of heat the skirting rads are brilliant, but, given their age, they are not the most attractive heaters I've ever seen. They stand about 3 inches proud of the walls, are about 9 inches high and are made of pressed steel. I have seen somewhere on a website some modern ones which appear to simply take the place of normal wooden skirting and are supposed to be just as good as our old version.

If I were starting from scratch with central heating I would certainly consider using the new version.

Billk

does your old skirting board heating go the whole way around the room? Some of the newer ones I think just go on the external walls, with dummy units on the other walls so all the skirting looks the same. Just wondering how this works and if it contradicts the suppliers claims regarding even heating of the room.

Hi Tipp,

In the sitting room and the dining room the rads go round 3 walls; in the hall it goes on a single wall.

We are in shirt sleeve order with the thermostat turned to 19C.

I would have thought that the new stuff would work in the same way, but I'll see if I can find the website I mentioned to check.