Skimming walls

Digger

Has anyone tried this new product "Ready to roll skim plaster", seems to good to be true.
Just wondering if any plasterers out there see any draw back from using it ???
Their website is [broken link removed]

Digger said:
Has anyone tried this new product "Ready to roll skim plaster", seems to good to be true.
Just wondering if any plasterers out there see any draw back from using it ???
Their website is [broken link removed]

i am sure plasterers will have an objection to it...... :D

hope its as good as it sounds. We could do with a cheaper alternative to plasterers. Had one last year charge 200 euro for a tiny bathroom ceiling - ouch! Will watch this space to hear if it really works?

Just looked at the website...the stuff s only good for use on plasterboard...no good for me so :(

I think I will give it a go, I have a whole 4 bed house that needs skimming, rather than fork out 2 grand on a plasterer. Just a little worried about composition ,that it wouldn't deteriorate say 5 years down the line

I was wondering if anyone had used this Ready to Roll stuff and how it went? Was thinking of using it to plaster a small bathroom extension as it would cost a lot less.

Not a snowballs chance in hell of it being anywhere approaching as good a finish as a good skim...how could it?

Saw the Woodies guy on TV3 giving a demonstration of how to use it and it looked like a terrible longwinded procedure. It seemed that he had to go over it, time and time again. Considering the small area he covered and the length of time it took I certainly would not like to have to plaster a whole house. He did mention that one customer of Woodies had done a whole house. Just wonder if there would be much of a saving in the long run.

Hmm, I suppose it seems a bit too good to be true. €40 instead of paying a plasterer €200 for the job, although i'd prefer it to be done properly at the end of the day.

If anybody is considering DIYing this ready to roll plaster or doing a proper skim coat, I'd recommend getting a few sheets of plaster board, and trying it out first. Attach a few battens and maybe a couple of squares of ply to simulate corners, sockets, light switches etc., and see how you get on.

As I'm sure legs-akimbo will testify, plastering is a skill that takes practise, priactise, practise, and then a little more practise. I've skimmed a few rooms in my place, but was only able to tackle one wall at a time, and while I'm happy with the results, they've not quite up to pro standards.
Leo

If you were considering tackling a large area just how many tubs of roll on plaster would be needed? considering you can cover around ten square mtrs or more with a seven euro bag of skimcoat, or mixed up you would have the equivalent of two full builders buckets of skim for that bag. Out of curiosity how much is a tub of roll on plaster and what area will it cover? I bet it aint cheap! Besides the very fact that it comes complete with sandpaper to rub down the imperfections about says it all really

I'm doing my whole 2-bed house at the moment (6 rooms). I have a small hallway and our stairway area. I think it's a fantastic product much better than using lining paper which I tried on my bathroom but it difficult to avoid bubbles with lining paper. It's hard work and slow but I estimate that I will save around EUR3000 by going DIY as opposed to paying a plasterer that is if you can find one that you can trust. It takes a while to get the hang of but it more a case of timing i.e. when to smooth and sand. i.e. don't let plaster get too hard. Always start on walls that will be seen less and your technique and speed will improve. Finish a small area at a time. The finish is perfect. I'm using it on previously skimmed walls that I pulled wallpaper off. Luckily the walls are mostly perfect. For larger holes left after roll-on you can fill with gypsum skim coat or polyfilla and re-smooth.

You would need to enjoy DIY and be a meticulous person to stick with it as its slow and tiring but well worth the effort, I can stop admiring my work!

In Woodies it's EUR60 for a 10lt tub which will cover a small-medium bathroom or small hallway. You'll get more efficient with more practice. The applicator kit is EUR20. Get some smaller scrapers/spreader for those narrower area that lager spreader is too big for.

Good luck.

Pat.

BTW I'm not affiliated in any way to fibertech or woodies, just a DIY enthusiast!

I have a rough wall that was made up of "bonding". Will the plaster go over this, like a skim coat or does it really have to be over plasterboard ? And do i need to buy the kit which is overpriced at 20 euro.

Whatever you use you will need to seal the bonding coat with pva as the "skim" will be bone dry just showing it to a wall with bonding that has stood for more than 24hrs.

legs-akimbo said:
Whatever you use you will need to seal the bonding coat with pva as the "skim" will be bone dry just showing it to a wall with bonding that has stood for more than 24hrs.
Ah the wall is dry for years and painted. Will the skim coat adhere to the existing painted bonding wall is the query. As fibertech seem to be marketing it for use over plasterboard.

Any surface unless it is a newly prepared and keyed undercoat needs to be pva treated, particularly painted surfaces.

I don't know this product but I'd be very surprised if this product was ever designed for large scale use or was ever intended as a serious replacement for the plastering trade. When you factor in time, cost of materials and finish etc I'd be very surprised if any such "DIY" plastering product could rival the work of a good plasterer. I'm no plasterer but I've no problem patching in or making good to small areas of 1 sq. m or less. But I know my limitations - i'd be happier paying a good plasterer to do any larger jobs- afterall no amount of sanding, filling or painting will disguise a bad plastering job. Just my tuppence worth.

Back