Skimming - do I need to remove old wallpaper?

Peachie

Hi,
Just checking (before I waste any more hours with the steamer..)...is it essential to remove old wallpaper (approx 3 layers!) before skimming them?
TIA!
P

That's a yes then...
Haven't gotten quotes yet...a friend is arranging for a few guys to do lots of work for me..getting materials at cost and those guys work for a set daily rate. (presume it'll work out around €200 - 400 per room??)

It's yes because the paper will probably bubble and may come loose when the wet skim gets into it.

Let me know how much it costs when you do. I got quoted 250 for a large bedroom and 400 for a V large living room. To be honest the price sounded fair enough to me. I wasnt quoted per square foot or anything like that but I just want to know what the typical ballpark figures are that people get quoted. That is a Kildare price from a highly recommended skilled tradesman.

My builder put up new plasterboard over the wallpaper and plastered onto that. He prepared the whole upstairs in a day and saved a fortune in labour. If you can live with an inch or so less in each room this might be an option.