Skills that should be a minor but compulsory element of Leaving Cert

Betsy Og

Basically things that would be useful for all 17 y.o's to know. Could be done during transition year if they do it. I'd be thinking a basic MCQ that you have to pass to get the leaving cert put is not part of the points system, can be done online at any time during the year (so not wracking up the pressyre) in a controlled environment - like the driving theory test. Every school could have one - just basically a supervised computer room.

So topics:

• First Aid - never a burden for anyone to know the basics. A module on sex education/health probably wouldnt go astray.
  • Road safety - basic instruction on safe road use for all users (including pedestrians). How/why accidents happen and therefore how you give yourself the best chance of avoiding them.
  • Basic personal finance - hammer the point that credit cards are the most expensive borrowings. Income must meet outgoings, in the long term at least. Dangers of moneylenders. Introduction to credit unions etc
  • The law - basically why its a bad idea to be on the wrong side of it. Cycles of criminality - have a record, cant get a job etc etc.
Anyone any other ideas? So, overall, if you had 60,000 or so individuals every year knowing the above wouldnt it be good for the country? I know there might be a civics type course that should cover the above but an mcq exam might make them learn something without overburdening them.

(apologies for the overuse of the word "basic" !!!)

Sounds like a good idea, i don't think it should be a requirement to pass the leaving cert but practical advice about health and finance would be good. What is taught in the civics class? We didn't have this when i did my leaving, it is taught at leaving cert level?

So topics:

• First Aid - never a burden for anyone to know the basics. A module on sex education/health probably wouldnt go astray.
First aid with a module on sex education? What kind of accidents are you envisaging?;)

Basic food knowledge - this is junk, this is not. This is how to boil an egg, this is how to grill a chicken fillet etc..

A surprising amount of people havent a clue whats junk and whats not.

Sewing, knitting etc, would'nt go astray for the girls. We all need to be able to sew in a button at some stage in our lives. Also public speaking would be a big advantage. They'll all have to face up to interviews and maybe in time depending on their jobs they'll be addressing groups of people etc.

Sewing, knitting etc, would'nt go astray for the girls. We all need to be able to sew in a button at some stage in our lives. Also public speaking would be a big advantage. They'll all have to face up to interviews and maybe in time depending on their jobs they'll be addressing groups of people etc.

Sewing wouldnt go astray for either sex!!

Public speaking is brilliant - might save the rest of us the horrors we suffer at the dreaded 'best man speech' at weddings :)

Thats just crazy talk. Next you will want girls doing woodwork and boys doing home economics.
My son's in transition year and is doing Home Economics - for someone who's growing rapidly and has 'hollow legs' - he loves it as he gets to eat everything he makes! :)

I haven't sewn on a button in years - if my other half needs one sewn on, he does it himself!

Thats just crazy talk. Next you will want girls doing woodwork and boys doing home economics.

Theres certainly nothing wrong with boys doing home economics in fact it would be good for them. As for girls and woodwork, if they enjoy it, why not?

I can't believe that anyone would envisage a different education for girls and boys in this day and age. A joke surely.

Children should be thought the basics of reasoning and logic.

There should be a course on civic and personal responsibility. Don't drive drunk and don't get pregnant at 15.

Maybe we could leave out Irish and add in this useful training. Or keep the kids in school until 5.30 so their parents can pick them up?

Nutrition & interview skills would definitely be good. Typing would be good as well but might take up a fair bit of time in the context of a packed cirriculum. Most of the other stuff could be covered in 1 lecture per topic and a few handouts.

As for guardians - I despair when I watch programmes about the HSE letting kids die or whatever way you want to sensationalise it. My first question would be where are the parents and if they arent already in treatment/jail then maybe they should be for ill treatement of their kids.

So, sad as it seems, I'm not sure we can rely on parents to cover these basics. You and I will or should cover these things (I'm not one for abdicating responsibility to others) but, an a national level, I think the coverage would be better if it was formalised.

Re sex and first aid - have you forgotten about poor Leslie Ash and the "rough sex" injuries? I find myself that they dont make wardrobes like they used to, so be careful they dont fall asunder before you get to jump off them.

Here's my tuppence worth in no particular order,

Be able to do CPR, type, swim and drive!

Well said. Mrs Purple would be far less likely to sew on a button etc than me.

Being made to learn knitting/sewing etc at school ( well it was either that or Irish dancing) has led to a lifelong aversion to any kind of sewing etc. I would only sew on a button if absolutely forced to do so.

So I think- philosophy. Everyone should be introduced to philosophy at school.

So I think- philosophy. Everyone should be introduced to philosophy at school.

I agree - it's compulsory in France, I think they do the exam at the end of the year preceding the leaving cert equivalent.

Back