Skiing - websites ?

kiki35

hi,

we are looking to go skiing next winter with our two children (8) and (5). Does anyone have any good tips for resorts that are kid friendly - both kids are very sporty and outdoorsy, so no need for indoor stuff, just somewhere where they'd be welcome and that has a good ski school (for all of us!!). I have heard the coach transfer for Andorra is very long and we would like to avoid that if poss. Also, could someone recommend some good websites, or should I go to a travel agent? I have looked at directski.com, but can't seem to find any other good ones. Thanks a mil for any tips!

try highlife.ie, dont know if they are kid friendly but i know a couple of people who have used them and been happy

If you are looking for something reasonable for your first time skiing, go with Bulgaria with Directski.com or Balkan tours. Bulgaria is roughly half the price of most of the other resorts, it's got great ski schools and only a 2hr transfer from airport to Pamporovo, which is probably the most child-friendly of the Bulgarian resorts. It's a good way of finding out if you enjoy skiing, without spending a fortune.

Check out www.skifrance.fr where you can get info on all the sites and book direct although you will need to make your own travel arrangements. There are transfer buses from both Geneva and Lyon to all of the ski resorts, trains are also available to some also. Enjoy the pistes!

try directski for family holidays.

I would advise against andorra too, must say i enjoyed the week I went there but the 4 hr bus journey from toulouse was a lot, so if youve got kids in tow Id say it'd be hard. The buses stop off in a roadside cafe where youre charged 5e for a cup of tea in a polystyrene cup out of a berkel boiler. I brought my own teabag on the way back, we stopped off in the same place again and the guy charged 3e for the cup of hot water after some argument.

it's the Santa Ponsa of skiing holidays
Im trying to come up with somewhere suitable that rhymes with snow, to go with "ballymun in the sun" but its not coming...

must admit to dancing away in la fama many years ago. Think i still have the cap they gave everyone free.

thank you all so much for the tips! Will check out the websites given, and will avoid the Santa Ponsa of Skiing!

Hi,

I'd also recommend www.highlife.ie.
They are a relatively new company (about 4 years old) and so I found they bend over backwards to meet your skiing needs.
I went with them a few years ago to Morzine in France - they have some lovely chalets and apartments there. They are definitely child friendly too.
They provide a great personal service - e.g. taking you on informal ski trips around the ski area to show you the good runs etc, providing packs of tissues (for runny noses in the mountain air), etc.
(BTW, I've no connection to the company, other than as a satisfied client!).

Ragazza.

everybody always gives out about Andorra - i have spent over the years about 35 weeks in this beautiful country - and there are many resorts within the country that you cannot organise through the travel companys. which in turn keeps you away from the "lager" poeple. i go every year to Encamp which is smack bang in the center of the country. there are no brits/irish anywhere to be seen - maybe the odd one or two popping up over the last year or so but its generally spanish as its very easy access from the spanish side. there is a 15min gondola ride which brings you right to the heart of the grandvalira sector which is huge. [broken link removed] will show you all the details of the area. there are a million different activities apart from just skiing/boarding.the transfer from barcelona now that the new road has been completed is less than 2.5hrs. yes you will pay 5e for a cup of coffee at the roadside cafe where the bus stops but thats if you're a mug. how much is a cup of coffee in motherhubbards i wonder? or is that why bewleys had to shutdown? i digress.
in summary i would say encamp is a great spot for a family as there are no hordes of youths looking for beer and meat markets. its very family orientated but like i said, mainly spanish.
there is the sports center in the town with a full size heated pool and all the other bits and bobs that go with a sports center.
do not goto bulgaria - yes its cheap but you are losing out on an extremly old and decrepid lift system. the money has not yet gone into it. it is going in slowly though. if you have any questions feel free to ask away but don't let people put you off just because they've been to pas de la casa! that would put me off too!

I agree with elefantfresh that Andorra is being criticised unfairly here. I've only been twice but enjoyed it even though my favourite resorts are in France and Switzerland. For the money and if you're relatively inexperienced, it's hard to beat Andorra. If you stay in one of the smaller villages/hamlets it's absolutely fine; when we wanted to "party" we headed to Soldeau or the main town. The value is great, the ski areas are huge, the schools are good since it has targetted less experienced skiiers and lots of the slopes are relatively easy which means you'll get to explore the mountain within a few days even as a complete beginner instead of being confined to one nursery area. I'd also diagree with Pia Bang; from what I've heard from two seperate friends, I'd avoid Bulgaria unless budget is your absolute priority; while the prices are amazing, both found the food & accomodation poor, the slopes to be very limited, the rental equipment shoddy and the general level of service to be unhelpful bordering on rude.

As for web sites, one of the best, in my opinion is the Ski Club of Great Britain one.

I have used directski.com before. Brilliant to deal with and I couldnt find anyone cheaper. I think they are an Irish company. In regards to andorra I found it very good for beginners or a large group. Ive heard bulgaria is very cheap and the sking is meant to be decent