Skiing - Is End of March too late?

Irishchappie

Thinking of going skiing with a few mates this year but due to various reasons, the end of March seems to be the only time that suits everyone. However I have my reservations about the success of getting snow and a decent amount around that time.

Has anyone ever gone skiing that time of year and was there much snow?

Recommendations of resorts that have snow at that time would also be good too

Cheers,

I.C

It is very late by any European Standards. I wouldn't go that late. I would have thought you really want to be skiing on Paddys week at the absolute latest.

Its not too late. The resorts close in around Easter usually. The season is starting up very slow this year (not enough snowfall), it might go on a bit longer at the other end (depends on snow fall).

Loads of spring skiing in the US with loads of powder and great weather too. I don't know if it is too far for you to travel for a week.

Resorts may close in easter, but alot of them are stretching it out at that stage for the locals. You'll probably need to go some where with altitude. A good clue also is with the online booking sites, e.g. directski.com If I look at Soll in Austria, I see it peaks at the end of Feb but from 24 March on they only do accomodation, no flights = no snow!

Go high in Europe. To name a few
At
Ichgl, Obergurgl (was there March 22 -24 in 2003), St Anton -there in 2004 Mid March-very warm, snow melting by the minute, snowed again the following week,
Soll etc only grat when there is lots of snow
Fr
Three Valeys, Val D'isere, La Plagne, Serre Chevalier-there in late march once-great skiing
Switz
Murren, Wengen-many times late March and even mid april-always snow. Not great apres Ski tho. Saas Fee-Glacier Skiing -was there in Nov and late April-good skiing

Its all weather dependent and the best time is Feb-by a long black run! Why not a DIY long week end to somewhere you know in Feb or early march-Fly to Zurich and then head to Austria?

The Eastern US is also pretty reliable at that time of year and not too far to go for a week IMO - it is also a little slow starting off this year though. Probably easier to do a DIY job to the US - flights to Boston, car hire and book a house/condo. Somewhere like Killington or Stowe. We are doing the US DIY at Xmas and its working out cheaper than most of the European resorts at that time of year. I think the passes & ski hire can be booked a bit cheaper online too.

I only know the Western ski areas but I got discounted day passes for about $30 from ski rental stores or month passes for $150. Gas stations often did discounted passes too. If you look at Taos (NM) (ski only), dozens in Colorado (huge ones like Aspen\Breckinridge or local ones) and Utah you'll see snowfalls, prices, closing dates.

Back