Skiing in January

HollyOlly

Am looking into booking skiing, preferably in Andorra for the first week in January. Im a first-timer. Have heard horror stories and am worried that there mightn't be snow at that time. Does anyone know if Andorra has a good snow record?

I'm not a very frequent skiier but I know that it was late January before they had any snow in Andorra this year, it is a bit of a risk. Your best bet is to review some of the historic snow reports. I just googled "ski report january 2007 andorra" - gives you lots of info.
To reduce the level of risk you are better off to compare the resort heights you will for instance find higher resorts which have a better chance of snow around northern Italy.

Hi Ive been to Arinsal Andorra for the last 2 years although in March both times.
From what Ive heard you prob wont get better snow than in andorra if the weather is going against you.
Was a beginner last year and went with loads of beginners this year.
This year there was very little snow but because of the many snow cannons used in Arinsal you should always get something decent to ski on for beginners.
Not so good for intermediates though but that will be the same or worse everywhere else from what I heard.
I'd highly recommend Arinsal for a group of beginners.
Enjoy your first skiing holiday you wont beat being a first timer!!!

Have you looked at austria - higher mountains and quicker transfer times.
When you are researching the mountain height is the most important - next to how they cater for beginners as the higher the mountain the better / more snow u have...

Les Trois Valles in France is very high. As the name suggests it is 3 valleys. We went last year when all of Europe was experiencing a snow "drought" and we did not experience any problems whatsoever.

some resorts in Les Tois Valles e.g. Val Thorens are fairly expensive but Les Menuires where we stayed last year was very reasonable and you could ski to any one of the other resorts quite easily

Les Trois Valles is the biggest ski area in Europe (the world?)

We had friends in Bulgaria and Andorra the exact same week and they struggled to find snow.

p.s. we were there mid Jan