Skiing for first time

sharonp

Hi,
There is a group of us going skiing in Jan 08, first time for us all. We're thinking of going to Livingo in Italy. Thinking of staying in Zodiac apartments. Has anybody been there?

Sorry, don't know much about skiing in Italy but can recommend a website where you'll get good information - www.wtss.co.uk - I'd also recommend that if you're anywhere near south Dublin that you get a few lessons at the Ski Club in Kilternan - www.skiclub.ie - it will make a huge difference to your trip as you won't have to spend time learning the absolute basics.

sharonp, went to Livigno last year. Great resort and very popular amongst the Irish. Plenty of bars and the apres ski is great. One drawback of Livigno is the long transfer from the Airport, but if you can put up with that I would highly recommend it. Good luck!

Don't forget to make sure that you have the appropriate insurance.

When my lunatic brother-in-law broke his leg on the slopes, the first thing the rescue squad asked him was "Are you insured or do you have money."

It's an expensive sport if you damage yourself.

Perfect place for beginners! Really cheap to eat out and drink there as it is a tax free resort. Good skiing too. Lessons are only half day compared to some resorts that do morning and afternoon lessons. Do the morning lessons. It's hard to get up but you get the day to ski and plenty of practice in the afternoon,
Try to fly into Innsbruck as it has a shorter transfer.
Not so sure it's so good to do the Kilternan thing as many say it is so different. Know of a few who wish they had just left it until they got to the slopes.

Enjoy it it's a great holiday.

Don't go out to Kilternan to learn. All you learn there is to be afraid of falling as it hurts no matter how slow you're going. I know two people that have broken arms and wrists out there.

I would say that you should go to Kilternan. If you don't go and get the basics of putting on skis, standing up, moving a little, getting control, etc . . . then you run the significant possibility of spending the first 2/3/4 days of your expensive ski-school time on your expensive ski holiday standing around, getting cold, watching everyone else go up the slopes while you fall over and fall over and fall over on the nursery slopes.

When you start in ski-school the instructors will normally get you to do a short ski (like 10-20 metres) to show whether you have any control at all. If you have no control (because you have no experience at all) then you *will* be in the absolute beginners class and unfortunately this class will go at the speed of the slowest in your group. You may be lucky and all beginners in your group are quick learners or you may be really unlucky. If you are in the beginners class there is nowhere lower for a slow skier to go, so your instructor must stick with them.

It is expensive enough in Kilternan, so it is worth considering whether you want to pay that much to get the advantage, but if you are paying a lot of money for the holiday you may want to maximise the actual slope time you get by getting the basic learning out of the way.

I agree that the slopes in Kilternan hurt a lot when you fall and that the sensation of skiing there is nothing at all like skiing on snow, but you get the control basics there and that is worth it.

z

Livigno is great,went there my first 4 ski holidays... perfect for beginners..you will have a ball.. I would recommend you go to kilternan 3/4 times bit well in advance of your holiday so if you have an accident(more likely to hurt yourself there than on snow) you will have recovered in time...livigno is cheap too ..duty free.. i am sooo jealous.. and its monday morning....whaaaaaaa..

Enjoy