Skiing at xmas

RobAMerc

hi,

decided to get away from it all this xmas and go skiing.
Thought you guys might know where's good to match our criteria.

Good chance of snow - last year I hear was a disaster at lower resorts
Wife says it must be xmasy - if we go away it must have that xmas feel
Not ridiculously expensive
Good beginner skiing

thats it - it's appreciate your thoughts.

plus if you think diy or package is better.

Thanks for all the help (again)
Rob

Try Italy - Clavier (45 mins from Airport), Austria - bad gastien valley - But do note at xmass it will be veeeeerrrrry busy...

There was another thread on this last week, have you looked in previous pages?

Bottom line is Christmas is early in the season for skiing and most resorts had very little snow if any for Christmas, and some even further into the season. The days of "guaranteed" snow are gone.

Hi RobAMerc,

We went to Saalbach last Christmas....Snow was okay but very much subsidised by the cannons (of which there were plenty)...It was my first experience of Austraia and we had a mix of beginners and experienced skiers. It was my wife's second time skiing and she found the blue runs significantly more difficult than the same colour in Italy two years before. I also didn't find Christmas day itself to be celebrated in any real way so it was a bit of a let down for the kids.....Of all the trips I've done (mostly France) I would have to say that the best value for money was Sauze D'Oulx in Italy.....Inexpensive trip, very short transfer time from the airport, plenty of runs....Maybe not a trip I'd book in advance of seeing what the snowfall is like though !

Let us know how you get on?

r2d2

I was in Sauze twice and its beautiful but the snow is waaaaay too unreliable. Gotta go high if you're going for xmas. Already plenty of snow in Austria up high - could be a good sign. Dont goto Kitzbuhel - was there a few years ago in feb - very little snow and rubbish for boarders. Our skier companions thought it was only ok too and darned expensive.
Check out skiclub.co.uk and you can get historical snow reports - gives you something to work on. And get to the gym now!!!

We went to copper mountain in colorado last year, now that's snowsure but its a trek if every there was, worth it though. We'd a few feet of snow falling every night. If you want some info pm me, we did it all diy and stopped in new york on the way home.

Back