Skiing at Feb mid term or Easter- any tips?

murray

Hi,

Mrs Murray & I looking to go skiing/snowboarding at feb Mid term (17/2/07) or Easter time. School holiday time - just 2 of us though.

We have both been skiing before - but 5 yrs ago in New Zealand.

Any tips on where to go at these times (any particular resorts etc.) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !!!

Hi Murray,

You should chek out Austria, Zell am Zee. Was there last March and skiing was fantastic. It's reasonably cheap fpr accomodation. If you stay in private accom it works out very cheap althought he hotels are not too expensive either.

ranger

Easter is April 8 this year I think, April is a bit late for some of the lower resorts. Mid-Feb is in general the best snow, and as a result peak season, especially in France when they have their mid-terms also.

You should check if there is any snow! There was a headline report just before Christmas that the permafrost layer in the Swiss Alps had retreated to alarming heights due to global warming (i.e. environmental damage caused by us all flying to ski-resorts)

Was in Zell am See last Easter(mid April). But had to ski in on the Glacier at Kaprun, which is a good hour away by bus.
If you are going at Easter, the higher the better. Tignes, Val Thorens and the like. Personally, I will be in Cervinia this Easter.

Lots of places to go in Feb-anywhere really. For Easter you have to be selective and that means high altitude. This means places with skiining above 2000m and up to and over 3000m. Places where the villages are less than 1000m will not, barring a miracle, have ski in ski out conditions. This means that you will only be able to ski ot the mid station. Some good places are in France- La Plagne, Serre Chevalier, Alpe D'Hues, Val D'Isere, Tignes,, and in Austria-Obergurgl, Solden, Mayrhoffen, St Anton an Arlberg, Ischgl. Places like Soll, Westendorf in Austria are very low down and would have hit and miss conditions at Easter. I have skied in Switzerland in Mid/Late April in good conditions but would not recomend switzerland as a great alround ski holiday. My preference is Austria-any time of the season-better all round ski athmosphere!