Ski trip advice required

R

r2d2

Hi All,

I'm looking to book a skiing holiday and wanted some advice as the plan is to go earlier than I've gone before...Details as follows...

Me.....6 previous trips experience
The Hen, a female.....1 previous trip experience
Kid 1, 15, a female....No previous skiing experience
Kid 2, 13, another female...No previous Skiing experience

I am alone in a house full of females !!!

Anyway, we want to go for a week, somewhere between say Christmas Eve and January 2/3....

Where will I get the best guarantee of snow in late December, any suggestions as to a good mix of black runs for me and easy stuff for the first timers and do you reckon we could get a good deal or otherwise if we were away when Santa was calling ?

Thanks,

r2d2

Hi there,

Try they have a lot of threads on different resorts & Xmas packages and you will probably get a better response there.

Ginger

Not sure if its of any interest but saw an ad on Luas to-day showing €50 discount per person for ski holiday booked on-line with www.crystalski.ie

Have you had a look at in case there is anything useful therein. There is another one here.

try www.skiclub.co.uk with this you can look at the historical snow record to maximise your chances of good snow ... the higher the mountains the better the snow ... hence austrian alps ..... let us know hwere you have decided
regards
smurf

We went to Sauze d'Oulx in Italy for a week on Stephens Day last year and the snow was more miss than hit. It was very icy and freezing cold (minus 20). From talking to other people on that trip it sounded like Austria was a much better bet for that time of year. Unfortunately I've never been so can't recommend a resort but if you talk to someone at Crystal or Panorama or one of those agencies they should be able to give you some pointers. My only tip is to avoid the Turin ski region of Italy at that time of year as it seems to be too early in the season for decent snowfall.

Thanks ParisB,

I went to Sauze myself two years ago and reckon it would be perfect for the kids (short transfer as well)...But you are right, we went in late February and I wouldn't go there in December. One of the other contributors recommended for advice such as this....For anyone else interested in skiing topics of all descriptions I recommend this site and their forums (or whatever the plural of forums is)

r2d2

Why not try New England, USA ? Loads of ski resorts where you are guaranteed snow at that time of year, fly to Boston and 3 hour drive will get you where you wanna go. The dollar is good value at mo too so.....

Can someone recommend a place to go just for the snow i.e for the kids to enjoy the experience of skating / snowboarding. Not looking for skiing.
Somewhere reasonable for 2 adults + 4 kids aged 13, 11, 10 and 6.

Thanks

I think France is good value. Meribel is perfect for groups of mixed ability. The valley sits between Val Thorens and Courchevel and all three resorts are linked by ski lifts. All three are at a good altitude too so there is a lower risk of poor snow coverage.

Hello ,
We have done this trip for the last 2 yeara nd going again this year ,
Flights Dublin to munich ~ 29 e/w + tax
Train Munich to Oberstdorf ~25 euro
Accomodation for 2 adults 2 children in self cat appart 5 mins walk from gondola ,ice rink etc 680/week total inc local tax.
The village is realy beutiful , (hansel and gretal) has 2 really good mountains , a ice rink , and a local spa centre open to all.
Its very quiet in the evening but that suits us fine , i reckon it could suit "daddy ???".

Back