Size of Digital Pictures is Too Large

One

I have taken photographs while on holidays. Each photograph is actually 3.2 MB in size. I want to reduce the size of this down, because the pictures are too large to send by e-mail. Any suggestions? Is there any software on the internet that can help with this. I have tried Winzip but it is not reduced the pictures enough.

On Windows XP - you right click on photo - open with - Microsoft Office Picture Manager -
Then on the menu - click on 'compress picture '

This will reduce photo to kb size

download Paint.net or you might have software you got with you camera to reduce or compress the size of the files.

Paint.net is a very good free photo editing software package similar to photoshop. Well worth having.

Sending them by email isn't a great idea. Why not upload them to www.flickr.com or www.fotki.com or Facebook or whatever - much easier way to share best quality. The recipients will find it easier to browse through an album of photos then a pile of email attachments.

Google picassa is free and effective, you can also upload to web galleries and it will automatically compress and resize your pictures to e-mail.

XNView is a good free photo tool.

Personally I'd prefer them by email. You can select download all, and store them locally so it much faster looking at them.

Picasa is the job then. Just export the picture you want to send, and resize it as part of the export process.

Thanks all. Got the job done thanks to the intereresting leads you have given.

u can use paint ,a programme in windows xp,its in the accessory list of windows programmes.

And for your next holiday why not change your camera settings to take pictures of a smaller file size, more suited to their end use? Solve the problem at source! As a bonus, you'll be able to take more pictures!

And for your next holiday why not change your camera settings to take pictures of a smaller file size, more suited to their end use? Solve the problem at source! As a bonus, you'll be able to take more pictures!

... and as a side effect, they will all look manky when you will try to magnify any of them!!
seriously, with 20euro you get gigabytes of space.

The best and easiest way i have found is using this tool from Microsoft
http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageResizerPowertoySetup.exe

It adds an option to option to the menu when you right click on an image or several images at one time. Then you can choose what size you want them to be from small to large. It will make copies of the photos if you want or just re-size the original.
I generally take pictures at the highest setting on my camera, 8MP. then save these as my backup and use the re sized ones for emailing and uploading. Uploading will be a lot quicker too if you upload the re sized one.

try it out you will never use another resizing tool - Its probably the only MS product i actually recommend

If I let every app that wanted to add a right click option, I'd have a right click menu with about 500 things in it. I think it slows it down personally. But if its something you do all the time, it would be useful.

I think Picassa resizes them on the fly as it uploads them.