Site with old farm building thereon

Ravima

Was looking at a site recently. It is basically a ruin, with some old farm buildings built in 1950's and a galvanised roofed open shed built in 1980. Old buildings could possibly be converted subject to planning, to holiday chalets. the galvanised shed might be handy for storage.

solicitor has asked me if the buildings are in accordance with planning permission and owner told me that they were just built. he did not think that they needed permission when they were built.

how can I find out if they needed permission and if they are in accordance with permission, or should current owner simply apply for retention?

Obviously anything built in the 50's is exempt. In relation to the shed built in 1980 the Vendor should have his engineer say whether it is an exempted structure or whether it should require retention planning permission. Even if it was an illegal structure it doesnt mean that you need to walk away now. The time limit has passed for the council to do anything about it. Given that it is only a shed ( unless it is huge and takes over most of the site) then I think a bank would probably have no problem accepting it as a qualification on title. All in all, its probably not the end of the world and in practical terms will make little difference.

Back