Site surveyed

munsterman25

Hi all,

The post about surveying has prompted me to ask this question. If I am interested in a site, should I have my engineer look at it previuos to me making a bid or should I wait until it has been sale agreed before forking out the moeny for him? I am thinking I should wait until its sale agreed? I assume my enginner will check the drainage and all that on the site

Yes- I think you should wait until contracts issue. If there are issues e.g. access problems, that would make the purchase untenable, there is an argument for not spending the cash in advance. As against that though, unless the engineer clears any problems in advance, how can you know whether the price is right? I suppose that if the engineer shows up issues, perhaps it will guide you in the future as to what to look out for.

mf

Thanks mf1.

For instance I have seen one site thats bordered at the 'bottom' by a stream. This may pose a problem if there was very heavy rain etc. But I suppose only an enginner can tell me that. Your right only then will I know if the price is right. Its one acre at 120k. I assume if its sale agreed and I get an engineer and the report is not favourable I can pull out as long as no contract is signed. Then again if I wait and dont get an engineer I might spend a few months bidding on a site that may turn out to be worthless to me.

Hoping to get a good enginner/architect who'll do the whole lot for me survey, design of house and all my sign offs. I guess thats going to cost a good bit. Any experience of this? For insytance how much will a simple site survey to check its suitabliity cost me>

Sign subject to survey. The seller’s solicitor will want that to be within a week or so, so have your engineer lined up. I would get that sorted before I get into too much detail with an architect.

Get an Architect involved as early as possible as there may be planning restrictions or building issues with the site you're bidding on which may not be obvious initially, Ideally you'd be buying the site subject to planning permission rather than subject to an engineers report (assuming its for development purposes)

An acre next to a river in Munster.That is a problem .An architect wouldn't have a clue.An engineer would tell you if this site has an acre or not.Not more.A drainage test would not avoid flooding.And the maps are somewhere hidden in the County Council Office and they are not keen to see them copied.Try get old maps as a first hint,they show-for taxation reasons-areas prone to flooding.

You need an engeneer that has a degree in water technology/wetland construction/marine construction.With our climate here that should be standard with every engeneer's education but it isn't.Try to find a Dutch engeneer.
Or ask in the local pub for the farmers who have land adjoining the site.The Dep. of Agriculture sometimes know more about the rivers of Munster than the planning department.They fork out money for nature/wetland conservation via the EU rural environment protection scheme.It can be difficult for anyone to judge the behaviour of a river in future times when there is a lack of data concerning the upper valley or with a lack of coordinated future planning, as it is in Munster . The sewage treatment can be overcome technically , but keeping the foundation dry in a flooded area ?The Insurance would fork out once or twice if you are flooded,but then premias would increase to become unaffordable.Wetlands/riverbanks are protected by law,so make sure you are buying developement land.And wetlands are worth it to protect them.
heinbloed

Back