Site handover before planning application?

What if your partner's father gifts the site into your joint names - would this make any difference re amount of tax payable?

I think they had their solicitor draw up an agreement, which will be void once they marry. It gives the value of the site to him but the value of the house is joint, if they ever go their separate ways and the house is to be sold...

wishful thinking, I'm afraid. In common with other, more famous, 'pre-nups', they are not recognised here, and once married, the property of both will become property in common.

I think the act is known as the Family Law Act or Family Home Protection Act, but other more informed people on here can correct me on that........

wishful thinking, I'm afraid. In common with other, more famous, 'pre-nups', they are not recognised here, and once married, the property of both will become property in common.

bartbridge did state that the agreement would be void once married.

To be honest it really doesn't bother me if the site is in my name or not, I just want to make sure that we are not going to get caught paying tax on the site.

So, I think the best option is for my OH to get the site in his name only, probably before or while the planning application is in, as the site would be more valuable when/if the planning is granted and would possibly be over the threshold of €254K. The agreement you can get drawn up before you're married is called a "Declaration of Trust". That's the document that our friends had drawn up. Maybe when we get the site signed over we'll ask the solicitor if it's really necessary...