Site for garden shed

huskerdu

I want to get one of the standard wooden garden sheds.
All the websites for companies who sell them, mention that your site must
be level.
I am removing a greenhouse and putting a shed in its place, but offset by a few feet from the exact position of the greenhouse.

The site will be a mixture of a concrete path, hard packed soil and paving slabs.

How much work am i likely to have to do to make the site suitable.

Not sure, but I'm getting a shed in the next two weeks (found Kelly's barna sheds and Ballyfree to be the best quotes for a wooden shed - 6x8 ft around €365, 6x10ft €490).

What I'm planning on doing this weekend is get some concrete blocks, measure out the plot and lay them down on it. I'll then get a plank of wood and a spirit level and check to see if the blocks are level, and dig them down a bit where necessary to get it all level on well compacted soil.

Was thinking of laying 1000gauge polythene underneath it all to stop weeds growing - anyone know if this is a good idea?

"Was thinking of laying 1000gauge polythene underneath it all to stop weeds growing - anyone know if this is a good idea?"

We did this and whilst I think it was a good idea him indoors feels that it can cause the water to just sit on it :confused:

There's no weeds under the middle of mine two years on. I'd reccomend a strip of the weed control fabric around the edges though, did this on mine to get the weeds/grass that grow along the sides that the lawnmower can't get to. Fabric is pegged in place and covered in bark mulch.
Leo

I think most of the retailers who come and install garden sheds ask for the location to be firm and level. The shed should be put up on a wooden platform of some sort. We got additional timber (same stuff that the shed was made of) from the retailer and fixed it to the bottom of the shed like skirting? With no light getting in we haven't had a problem with weeds.

Do you really need a shed, is you side entrance or patio area big enough to take one of the big garden boxes
[broken link removed]
In my previous house I found that a shed just acumulated a lot of crap that should have been thrown out or put in the attic and used up valuable garden space. I currently have 2 boxes like this that fit in the side entrance and fit lawnmower, gardening tools, patio furniture and kids bikes. The gardens you get in houses today just aren't big enough to allow any space to be unnecessarily used up.

I loved the shed the was built by Tommy Walsh (Tommy's ultimate workshop on some digital channel). I cant find the plans online anywhere??

On the original Note, Concrete Blocks make a good platform, i did this for my home made 8x8ft shed

"I loved the shed the was built by Tommy Walsh (Tommy's ultimate workshop on some digital channel). I cant find the plans online anywhere??"

You probably only liked it because of the 2nd level bit with the CD that made the noise of sawing etc. ;)

This was shown on Discovery [broken link removed], nothing on there at the moment, so you may have to wait until it gets repeated, or you could contact them and ask.
Leo

Back