Site area needed for Wastewater treatment system?

Plek Trum

Hi all,

very brieft background - in negotiations to buy a house which was extended. Retention was granted for these add-ons by local council a few years ago - however when we look at the plans of the house the current septic tank system does not match what was provided at the time (e.g the vendor never implemented the proposed septic tank works)

Current septic tank is only 5 feet (the 'up pipe') from the rear of conservatory and due to the angle of the house and the additional extension, the rear garden site doesn't seem to have a huge square metre site for a new system.

I spoke with one company who gave me their required dimensions for their system (10 metres from house, 3 metres from boundary , system 30sq metre, plus 15m or less perculation area). This will not fit within the existing site.

Does anyone know of the spacial requirements for wastewater treatment systems by reputable and certified coompanies in Ireland? I have contacted EPS but am waiting to hear back.

If you know of a company & would recommend them, that have an adequate system for a small site & their contact details it would be hugely appreciated.

Our only other option is to try and negotiate to purchase more land but its not an option finanacially (and the likelihood of farmer selling same is nil!)

Those are reasonably standard seperation distances Plek Trum. The percolation area size will depend upon the site assessment. Have a look at your local authority website to see if they have a list of registered assessors and speak to someone from that list. They are best placed to advise you on your full range of options.

Sounds as if the septic tank definitely needs moving. More importantly, if retention was granted was an upgrade to the effluent treatment system conditioned on the planning permission ?

If so I'd be very wary about buying as the repsonsibility to do so will fall on you when the septic tank inspection scheme gets up and running in the future.

Huge thanks Supertech - I had actually contacted the local council this afternoon and after receiving their assessor listing, spoke with a man who hopefully will provide the answers we are searching for!

Many thanks for your post - accurate and on the ball