Single supplements/Lanzarote/Illegal advertising ?

Silvera

The company I work for regularly recieves faxes from the local travel agency offering 'Late Holiday Deals'.

A recent fax offers ......

7 Nights - Algarve €99, Lanzarote €169, etc.etc etc

I went to the agency this morning to enquire about the Lanzarote offer, upon which I was told that (because I was travelling alone) it would cost me - wait for it ......... €680 !!!!

Nowhere on the fax did it state 'Per Person' or prices 'From' €xxx !

It has me wondering could I be clever and just book two places for €338 (€169 x 2) and just say my "friend" decided not to go at the last minute ?

False advertising or what !!

Silvera said:
It has me wondering could I be clever and just book two places for €338 (€169 x 2) and just say my "friend" decided not to go at the last minute ?
Why patronise a company at all if you think that they're pulling a fast one in terms of promotion of their wares?

Fair point.
But do all travel companied not hike their prices up when the hear you are a solo traveller ?

I seem to recall there being some organisation/body who collated details of travel agents/tour operators who did not charge single supplements but I can't remember the full details and could be mistaken... I'm not sure what, if any, legislation governs "advertisements" by fax but if you are so inclined then you could try complaining to the ASAI. You can make a complaint online fairly easily (takes about 10 minutes max) in case that helps. You could also try drawing the attention of the ITAA to this as they issue codes of conduct to which member firms are supposed to adhere.

Back