Single Storey to Dormer Questions.

bambam

Thinking about converting our bungalow to a dormer and was looking for some advice.

We don't know what type of foundations the original house is built on - how can I check if the foundations will support a dormer level, and in the event that they wouldn't is there any way to reinforce the existing foundations to take a dormer level. Would this be prohibitively expensive.

We will need to raise the roof pitch level. What height would the new roof need to be to meet the minimum habitable room height requirements, ie do I need 6 mts or more from ground to apex???

What percentage of useable space will we get. For example if we put a dormer level on a 100 sqm bungalow does this equate 75sqm of habitable space in the dormer. Is this too high a percentage or too low.

Many thanks
Bambam

A trial hole and an engineer looking at the foundations should anwer the first question.
You will need a set of drawings to answer the other questions.
You should retain an architect to advise you.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

Thank you for your advice. we have already retained an architect for our project we just didn't want to disturb him over the Bank Holiday weekend when we were tossing ideas around.

You seemed to be asking quite specific questions having decided what to do already, so I assumed you were ready to speak to an architect.
You post didn't read as though you had one already appointed, so my apologies for any confusion I might have caused.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.