SIMI calling for 'changeable' county reg plates

gianni

From the SIMI website:

At the SIMI’s (Society of the Irish Motor industry’s) press conference today, Alan Nolan, Director General, called on the Government to allow buyers of used cars to re‐register their vehicle in their home county.

Mr. Nolan said, “At the moment, many motorists drive cars with another county’s registration plate but most would prefer to drive a car with their own county’ ‘stamp’ on it. We propose that car owners who want to do so should be able to get their registration changed to one from their county. A fee of up to €250 could be charged for this change, which the local authorities could then reinvest back into our local road network. This is an important issue for car buyers and the Motor Industry and could be implemented very quickl
y.”

I heard this today on the radio and can't believe that this is genuine.. do people really feel that strongly about car reg plates ??

Or is there some other agenda going on here for the SIMI ?

I would welcome this. At last I can get rid of these D plates.

That's only true in you are in Dublin.

In Cork a C reg will be preferred. And you may as well just burn anything with a KK reg.

Plate snobbery is laughable and pathetic.

A 'D' plate being somehow worth more. If anything it'll be worth less as the mileage may be low, but the traffic has a negative effect on the clutch and brakes.

I don't live in my home county, but I've my home county plates on my car. A little bit of county pride, even though it's not a 'prestige' county plate (whatever that means !!)

And anyway...€250 !?!?! What? Who do they think they're kidding ? I reckon people may pay €50 to re-reg ther car to their own county, but no-one is gonna blow €250 on that.

If you could select a specific number for your car (without it having to be reached in normal useage before you get it) they might make another few quid.

Plate snobbery is laughable and pathetic.

A 'D' plate being somehow worth more. If anything it'll be worth less as the mileage may be low, but the traffic has a negative effect on the clutch and brakes.

I don't live in my home county, but I've my home county plates on my car. A little bit of county pride, even though it's not a 'prestige' county plate (whatever that means !!)

And anyway...€250 !?!?! What? Who do they think they're kidding ? I reckon people may pay €50 to re-reg ther car to their own county, but no-one is gonna blow €250 on that.

If you could select a specific number for your car (without it having to be reached in normal useage before you get it) they might make another few quid.

I am actually slagging saying they would re reg to Dublin (joke!)

However, like it or not (no snobbery factor attached) a D plate is preferable on a trade in. There is a sense from people (not saying this is right) that Dublin roads are better, the car is not wrecked, etc. A dealer (no matter where in the Country) will not have an issue taking a D plate, as they would some of the other ones.

I dont think people would bother re-registering for €250, but if you had a choice at the beginning D is better if you live in the surroundings and trade the car frequently.

Agree on the plate snobbery - shallow and childish in the extreme.

Both our cars have county plates from elsewhere. I can honestly say I've never given it a second thought.

Anyway, surely the 'identity history' of the car will somehow be available? E.g. this is now an MH car but was once a WW car. Would probably just perpetuate it's own version of the same silly attitude.

With the availability of online technology why should there be a Motor Tax Office in every county and two in some? Surely one national centre for driving licences, another for private motor taxes and another for commercial taxes would make sense. Plates could still be issued based on address of owner? Slim

They did that in the UK and it is an awful mess. What you will create is a bureaucratic monster that loses paperwork and causes no end of grief to people.
Plates could still be issued based on address of owner?
They always had been issued based on the address of the first owner.

Maybe.

Down this part of the country a D plate means heavy wear due to city traffic, clutch on its last legs etc. Something a dealer won't want. The one handy thing about having a D plate is when visiting the capital. You don't get the abuse that is given to country plates.

Works both ways - people also assume you know where youre going. Also people are more likely to accomdate you in lane changes etc if so are driving a KY reg for example

Will there be special Nigerian and Lithuanian plates for our many brethern driving with OY regs (for some strange reason) ?

it's fine as long as it's voluntary. Worry I'd have is that local councils would see it as a potential income stream and look to make it compulsary, so if you buy a D reg and are living in Kildare, you have to change the plate to a K plate, for a fee

I couldn't have a D reg car because people would think I wasn't able to afford a car and was leasing it

Back