SIM into new phone - what will I lose/keep?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caveat

OK, I'll be keeping my address book I think that's a given - but what else?

I've loads of recorded hummed tunes/lyrics/ideas etc (I'm a musician/songwriter) on the dictaphone type feature on my existing phone and I'm concerned that I might lose these - what in general should I do - save everything to SIM if there is the option I guess?

What if there isn't - will I lose it?

I think text messages stay on the phone and do not go to SIM unless you save them to it.

I don't think you will lose them (music etc) as such as they will remain on your old phone when you take out your sim. So you could put your old sim into new phone and see if they are there.

Sorry I can't be more definite.

Caveat,
You should be able to back up the files on your phone to your computer, before switching SIMs, so you definitely don't lose anything.
Usually there is a software disc that comes with the phone, if not, just connect the phone to your computer, and the memory on it should be recognised as an external storage device, where you can copy the files over.

Nicola

Not sure Cav, but I recently changed phones (from Sharp to Nokia) and I had problems copying my contact numbers to the new one. About half of them transferred with the SIM card and the staff of the shop could only do so much so I ended up transferring many of them manually. None of my saved text messages, tones etc. transferred either but they remain in my old phone which I still sometimes use if my Nokia is charging.

Yes NicolaM I forgot about that.

Unfortunately for me I also did what Nicola said but ended up losing it all when I went to back-up on PC another time. Just to be warned. Of course it could have been sthg I did but just to let you know.

Thanks all - jeez that was quick!

Now that I think of it, TBH I don't really care what I lose (texts/tones - even phone no.s - I can get them all again easy enough) other than those recorded things I was on about - they are my only real concern.

Its a Sagem to Nokia BTW - 2nd hand Nokia, so I don't think I'll be getting a disc of any kind.

Caveat,
I would imagine (without having done it) that the same principle should apply: Attach your phone to the computer, find the files on it that you want, then copy them into a folder on your hard-drive. You should then be able to connect the new phone, and copy the original Sagem files to eg the music or pictures folder on the Nokia.

Veron, did you do an synch and lose all your data? May have been what happened, what a pain

Nicola

If you take out your sim card, can you access your files on your 'old' phone? If so, transfer them via bluetooth or infrared.

If not, borrow a sim card from the same provider, stick your sim into your new phone, and the borrowed into your older one, and transfer them that way.

I had to do this when I changed from a Samsung to a Motorola and now to a Nokia!

Thanks all - OK, I took a risk in the end and lost all recordings.

New Q then, if I transfer the SIM back again should things be as they were on my old phone? If so, I can at least then hear them and maybe rerecord them somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back