Silver peeling off my alloys??

StaroftheSea

Hi all,

I have my new car for almost 3 months now. It's an Dec 09 BMW with very little on the clock. I've noticed the 'paint' peeling off my alloys. Having looked around me at other's alloys, I think that mine probably should not be doing that. They will surely look a mess in a years time at the rate it's peeling.

What has happened my alloys? I haven't damaged them in any way. The car is still in it's first year of it's 3 year warranty, so I'm presuming its covered, but I'm just wondering if this is a common thing to happen? Have I been sold black alloys that were sprayed silver, or what's the story?? I can post a picture if you want to see them....
Thanks in advance,

Are these genuine BMW wheels or aftermarket ones added after the purchase of the car?

Hi RonanC,
I was told the car was a BMW fleet car, and as new. I presume that means the wheels were what came with it as new. Obviously I'm not so sure now.....

It sounds like the laquer is flaking off and if they are genuine BMW wheels i'd be straight back to where I bought the car and asking them to have them fixed.

what more than likely happened is :

1. the car was handed back to the dealer after the fleet/leese was up
  2. they prepared it for sale as an AUC (Authorised Used Car)
  3. one stage of this is refurbing the wheels
its my opinion that the refurb job is failing here, as in the paint work from the refurb is starting to flake off. how do you wash your car op?

do you do it yourself?
go through an automated carwash?
get the local Texaco or similar to do it?

either way the garage should refurb the wheels again for free. my dad also has an 09 E60 and the exact same thing happened. the dealer took them back and refurbed them again no probs. just approaceh them nicely as such and see how you get on.

Back