Signing in to hotmail....

whiskey1

I have seen sometimes on friends computers when they sign in to hotmail a list of email addresses appears in the sign in page and they can just click on the address they want to sign into. I asked them about this and they dont know why the list is there inly that when they use an address it gets added to the list automatically. Does anyone know how this email address list appears on the page?

Hi whiskey. It is not so much a list of email addresses as the last few login names used , in hotmail's case these are email addresses. I'm no IT expert but always assumed the computer automatically did this although the computer may have a 'remember this' option when you log in. Slim
PS: if you are filling in a form online, you can use the 'autofill' option on your toolbar to fill it in for you.

Its done by the website storing "cookies" on your laptop/PC. When you go back to the site the next time it auto loads them and populates the email field. You can disable them and also clear them in the browser so that may be why you dont see the login pre-populated

[EDIT] I think in hotmail there is an explicit "Remember me on this computer" checkbox that ensures it will fill it in for you