Signed up for broadband with BT, do I have to pay Eircom aswell?

Anto318

Hi all,
I have a quick question. I took over a lease on a house and before the landlord moved out he de-activated his broadband contract with BT. When I tried to then get broadband it was a nightmare to get the line re-connected, I finally got the line re-activated through eircom and got my new Eircom account number. I then rang BT and signed up for broadband with them.

I got a letter in the post for €54.89 from Eircom for a PSTN connection (re-curring activity charges). I signed up for broadband/talk which included line rental in the price of I think €46 per month with BT.
Do I have to pay line rental with Eircom of €54.89 and also pay €46 for broadband/line rental with BT???

Any information you can give would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to be paying €100 per month for broadband and what to get this sorted out!!!

Thanks,
AM

May be ring BT (not an easy task!) and ask them.

There used to be the case that you had to pay the line rental to Eircom and broadband/phone bill to BT (two separate bills) but they changed it couple of years ago. I have broadband and phone bundle with BT and currently pay a single bill to BT every two months.

Not sure how the re-activation charges works, I think it may be the case that Eircom still owns all phone lines and are sub-renting them to BT (and other companies), in which case you may have to pay Eircom for re-connecting?

You're going to have to get on to Eircom, and BT. When we moved we ended up with several months where both were billing us for line rental. Each blamed the other for the error. But there is a number you can dial (I don't remember what) which will tell you exactly who holds your line. Once we found that out (several phone calls later), we had to go back and get a refund from BT, as it turned out Eircom had our line.

Back