Sicily, advice on holidays

cara mc k

I am thinking of going to Sicily in approx 3 weeks time, would like a two week break but it is pricey. Also I like to relax but could not do it for 14 days, so like sightseeing to places of interest. Is there enough to do?, and any tips on the island in general, especially Taormina.

Have any AAM people any advice.

Many thanks
Cara Mc K

There are a million things to do. It is a fab place. Taormina is the most touristy part, but it hasn't lost it's character all the same. It is a lovely place, with a nearby beach in Giardini Naxos. There are lots of hotels there too so you should have no problem finding a place. Mt Etna is well worth a visit and you can go on tours from Taormina.
Go to Aggrigento too if you get the chance. The Greek ruins there are breathtaking, and the train journey across the middle of sicily is very interesting too. All the towns in the centre of the island are perched ontop of hills.
There are plenty other paces to visit too. Palermo is polluted, but there are amazing buildings and churches there. Also, some of the volcanic islands to the North of the island are worth visiting. I hear syracuse is worth a visit too. We only had 10 days there so we never got to visit.
The food is great, and in general cheap (I suppose everywhere looks cheap now compared to here!). The wine is great too! Enjoy! I envy you.

Thanks for your advice, where did you stay, as in the brochures everything looks beautiful, so would be interested in the real picture.

Thanks
Cara Mc K

see if your local newsagent has any copies of last sundays Sunday Times. might give you the travel section.whole page article on Sicily. Sounds great.

Its quite a small island. I would really recommend taking time to go to Palermo and Cefelu (not too sure about that spelling). There are good motorways across the island, Palermo is only a couple of hours from Catania. Palermo is amazing with Arabic and Roman influences, some of the buildings have not been restored from the world wars and you can still see bullet holes in the walls. Cefelu is a beautiful seaside town about an hour away from palermo. Well worth a visit.

In Taormina we stayed in the Victoria Hotel - it's only a small place in the centre of town, but the people were lovely and the rooms were great. You can check it out here:

There are plenty hotels with pools etc if that is what you are looking for. I cannot remember the name of the place we stayed in in Agrigento, but it is right beside the bus station and it is amazingly cheap for huge clean rooms with air-con and breakfast.
Hope that helps!

Thanks for all your help, I am going on the 16th July for one week, and really looking forward to it, I will be thinking of you all when I am there.

Thanks again
Cara Mc K

I stayed in both Cefalu and Taormina last year and much preferred Cefalu. The beach in Taormina is tiny, overcrowded and you've to pay to sit on it. Also when we were there Taormina didn't get any breeze at all so we found the heat a bit hard to take at times. When we went to Cefalu there is a beautiful beach with a lovely sea breeze and the town is all on the one level so much easier to get around on foot.
Agree with the point that food and drink is very cheap. I also went the last week in August which is probably the hottest time so hence the importance of the sea breeze. I would say it would be quite hot in July also.
Stayed in Villa Fiorita in Taormina which was reasonably priced, in a great location near the town but away from the noise and had a pool - essential in Taormina where the beach is not very comfortable.

Re: Sicily, advice on holidays - Updates?

Hi guys, any updates on Sicily since last year?

Am thinkin of heading again to Sicily (was there for Italia '90) with a couple of mates. Anyone ideas on how to get a cheap flight as I think we'd like to get around a bit and book our own accom.

I stayed in Cefalu when last there but I would like to check out Palermo for a couple of nights; it sounds a bit more lively. Anyone any recommendations for accomodation for there or other villages.

Also what's the night life like around the island. Not into mad boom boom but is there any activity around the Island after 12. I remember it was kinda quiet in Cefalu when there! Strange, considering the world's most famous satanist set up home there ;-)

casiopea said:
Its quite a small island.
Er, it's the largest island in the Med and would take quite a while to travel around extensively by private or public transport!

Haven't been to Palermo since 1990 either but I've been to the eastern side of the island many times since (Taormina, Catania, Syracuse etc.). If hectic nightlife is what you're after you might be disappointed in many parts of Sicily. I'm sure that the bigger cities (e.g. Palermo, Catania etc.) have something to offer on this front but by and large the Sicilians and most of the tourists that visit seem to go in for something more leisurely - which is something that I personally prefer. You shouldn't have trouble finding places open late but they could be too leisurely for your tastes. Many Sicilians are more likely to head out late for an ice cream rather than pints!

Have to agree with the above !! It's very quite, but it's lovely and I'd defo go back. It's really hot aswell .....

Yeah - best to visit between c. September and May. The high summer months are too hot even for the locals!

You can also do a trip ( I forget the name of it) but it's where they shoot the Godfather Films and if your a fan, you'll love it !! It was located up in the mountains but it's defo worth it

We are thinking of going to Sicily mid March next year - with our baby(who will be 5 months p.g.)....Anyone been there at this time of year? What's the weather like? Is it a good place to travel with a baby? What are the transfers etc like from Trapani Airport? Would be concerned about cab rides with baby and no baby seat? Anyone recommend renting a car instead?

Thx

We are thinking of going to Sicily mid March next year - with our baby(who will be 5 months p.g.)....Anyone been there at this time of year? What's the weather like?
Thx

Wondering the same! Does anybody have experience of Sicily in mid March?

Should be OK. Was there in May and it was nice. Best to avoid some or all of June/July/August as it can get unbearably hot then.

Back