shower trays - what are best? concrete or ceramic?

NOAH

I thought a show tray was a shower tray but it is not so simple. I want one 1500 by 900 and initially told this is an odd size and is a special order. Also told it is in concrete and not acryllic. then saw a post about ceramic!! What is best option?

noah

Re: shwers trays - what are best? concrete or ceramic?

One that size would be a special order and it would be made in concrete. I think they are a far better tray, especially in larger sizes. They are completely sturdy and there is none of the flex you get in the acrylic trays. But you have to be careful fitting them as the surface can chip and you need a solid base (as you would for a plastic tray)

Re: shwers trays - what are best? concrete or ceramic?

thank you, I now know the way to go and it is on a solid concrete floor.

noah

You could do away with a base altogether, then you can have any size you like - we bought a concrete lintel for €9, used an angle grinder to cut it to the size we wanted and then tiled the base of the shower and up over the lintel. Shower door on the top - job done. Only tricky bit was making sure that the floor sloped to the plughole. Hubby is a handy DIYer, took him 3 days to do the above and tile floor to ceiling in the rest of the en-suite.

that is an option ACA, by the way you can get a slopin tile which will provide the fall into the drain. One problem which arises is sealing around the drain, it is very difficult to get this 100% and failing to do this will let water in under the tile.