Shower Problem

Ned_ie

Hi all

I'm having a major problem with my shower.

First of all it has leaked through to my downstairs. So being the diy enthusiast i am I sealed the whole shower around with silicone. Unfortunately, that has not stopped it.

Now I have noticed that the tiles (or rather the grout) has gone a brownish colour. leading me to believe that it is through the grout the water is going! Any one have any ideas on this?

Should I remove all the grout and regrout with silicone to make sure it is done right? If so how easy is it to remove?

Lastly, my shower has now started to get blocked up (the outlet pipe) and I am wondering if I might be just as well to take off the tiles and remove the shower basin to check the pipes etc. I don't know who put the shower etc in as we bought from someone else - someone I'd rather not contact as ther were a lot of problems during the buying period!

Let me have your thoughts on this please.

Thanks

ned

i wonder if the two events ( leaking and blockage) are related? try unblocking the outlet pipe first. use a rubber plunger and remove the gundge that comes out. Maybe if the water can run freely away it will not spill out through the outlet pipe.

just a thought......

Had thought of that too but I don't think so. The leak has been going on for some time while the blockage has only just started.

Also trised the good ole plunger but no good. Think I am going to have to go for the heavy stuff - what ever that is!

ned

sometimes the grill can be removed from the outlet pipe in the shower and you can get better results with the plunger. this happens in my place all the time. run the shower so that there is some water in the tray - leads to better suction.

i bet its a big ol' hairball thats blocking the outlet - it always is. trouble is that the grill is stopping the hair coming up into the tray.

Chemicals may work for you but I have always found that the plunger, marigolds and sweat work best..

Yeah, I'd recommend sorting the outlet problem first. Then if the leak persists you can start to investigate other potential sources.
leo

Right well - got the blocked drain sorted.

As said before though this blockage only started recently and not before it startyed to leak.

Suellen thanks for those - must have a look.

I'd imagine so - it's hard to tell as it only shows as a big brown stain on my downstairs ceiling!

ned
i had a very similar problem a couple of years ago. shower leaked onto downstairs ceiling and outlet blocked up. at first i didnt think the two were related but when i cleared the blockage the shower stopped leaking. only thing i can think of is that the blocked outlet caused the water to seep through a joint in the u bend or something. now i look out for a sluggish flow in the shower outlet and clear at once. no leaks for the last two years...

Right - the update.

I decided to tackle the shower and see what the problem was. I removed some of the lower tiles in the shower unit. An lo and behold the adhesive at the back was as wet as it went on day 1 I'd say! The tiles literally fell off!

On one side the tiles are on solid wall which has been plastered. No problem there. however, on teh other side, the tiles have been put onto a wooden board - not plasterboard - just ordinary wood. As a result of the leak (whereever it's coming from) the board is sopping wet. However - since Sat - it has dried out considerably.

Should this have been done? i.e. should the tiles have been put directly on to the wooden board?

Also, I note that certani people were recommending Sealux. This was around the base of teh tiles but I have a feeling that it was neve done right as the sealant under that was loose and not stuck to the shower basin.

Plywood is a reccomended surface for floor tiles and I imagine can just a easily be used for wall tiles to give a level surface. Don't think it caused the leak.. I would be looking at the grout as a suspect, if waterproof grout was used it should have protected the plywood.

All above is IMHO from a half baked tiler..

I know it is exteme but can you get the shower tray out to make sure all connections under it are tight. Could be a loose drain.

A bit of a job I know but better then the ceiling downstairs coming in.

Frank

If the wood is sopping wet, I'd imagine there's water coming from somewhere other than through the grout. Keep removing tiles up along the wall to the shower and locate the source of the water, it may be a dodgy fitting at the back of the shower.

Are you sure this was Sealux and not another brand? Sealux's own sealant should be used with the trim as these have a strip underneath designed to form a good bond with the sealant. Of course a product is only as good as its application, these all need to be applied to a dry, clean surface.

Owenm - toally agree with you on this - very half baked altogether!

Frank - thanks - this was the relply I was hoping not to receive!!!! Had thought of this and was hoping beyond hope not ot have to do this. Oh well! My main problem is that the showever unit itself will have to come off. Not a major job I guess but taking out teh tray might be depending on how it was put in!

Hi Ned
For some reason we have come across this problem a lot lately. Espscially where the installers used 'greenboard' instead of a waterproof cement based board. Green board runs at arond 12 euro per sheet. Cement board at 43 euro. Our normal method, no matter the substrate, is to apply a tanking system before installing tiles. Sometimes the problem occures from improper installation of the wall to shower tray seal. When water leaks through here the moisture is pulled up by the backing. Capillary action. The use of the Larsen tanking system prevents this. It is costly at 90 euro per installation but it prevents any further damage. We also do not use silicon but rather a far superior polymer based product. Our preference is a product called Stixall. Green board is not waterproof and if installed with a cut section on the bottom lapping the shower tray is really looking for trouble. If you are handy with your hands and require more details feel free to P.M me. Hope this helps.

Back