Shower leaking

capall

Upstairs shower when turned on is causing water to drip through my living room roof
As I spotted this today my first thought was that the roof was leaking with all the rain so actually relieved when figured out it was from the shower

Poured water directly down the drain and no drips,but if shower turned on after a few minutes water dripping downstairs

I'm guessing its the area between the shower tray and tiles

Main thing I want to know

1)Shower installed a year ok, is this an indication of shoddy work by plumber who also did the tiling. I did read somewhere that slight subsidence causes this to happen frequently
2)Any recommendations for best sealant product

Upstairs shower when turned on is causing water to drip through my living room roof
As I spotted this today my first thought was that the roof was leaking with all the rain so actually relieved when figured out it was from the shower

Poured water directly down the drain and no drips,but if shower turned on after a few minutes water dripping downstairs

I'm guessing its the area between the shower tray and tiles

Main thing I want to know

1)Shower installed a year ok, is this an indication of shoddy work by plumber who also did the tiling. I did read somewhere that slight subsidence causes this to happen frequently
2)Any recommendations for best sealant product

it there horziontal tiling in the between wall and shower tray? is there a mastic joint? is shower tray cracked? is the shower door fixed to the walls and not on top of the tiles? is the seal around the trap still in place?

There is quite a few reasons you may have a leak, until it is fixed, I would recomend not using the shower as you may damage your ceiling and what ever is in it.

Get the plumber back to have a look.

Jaid

I'm pretty sure that its the space between the shower tray and the last tile which is not selaed. The grouting on the high tiles is white wheras near the shower tray the tile and grouting habe gone discoloured

What I really want to know is should i expect the plumber/tiler to fix this free of charge,is it his fault

There are many previous threads on this type of subject and having read those IMHO the shower tray has moved slightly and the water is leaking because of this.

The change in colour of the grouting and tiles near the shower tray is most likely just through use as the water hits there more often.

At this stage I prefer the white sealant as it does not discolour as quickly as the clear ones. BTW they all discolour over time. I think you should look for one with antifungal in it. Woodies or B&Q should suffice. I've also found over time to forget about making it look neat and just put plenty on to ensure it does a good job in keeping the water from leaking.

I'm pretty sure that its the space between the shower tray and the last tile which is not selaed. The grouting on the high tiles is white wheras near the shower tray the tile and grouting habe gone discoloured

What I really want to know is should i expect the plumber/tiler to fix this free of charge,is it his fault

Most tilers and plumbers say that they do not do the mastic, but if you expressly requested it you should get him/her back.

If the shower tray is sitting on a timber floor with timber joists, the timber breathes & expands & contracts with the weather. It is impossible to seal a shower properly with that movement going on. There is a tanking system you can buy that goes on before the tiling which allows for that movement. A pin hole in the grout is enough to do the damage

If the shower tray is sitting on a timber floor with timber joists, the timber breathes & expands & contracts with the weather. It is impossible to seal a shower properly with that movement going on. There is a tanking system you can buy that goes on before the tiling which allows for that movement. A pin hole in the grout is enough to do the damage

What do you mean it is impossible to seal the shower ? Every house in the country built now has a shower upstairs on a timber floor ?

Hey all.
I work for a bathroom showrooms now and am about 8 years out of my time as a plumber. The only times showers leak is when they are installed incorrectly. The only way to install a conventional shower, without any future problems is a follows. (Does not apply to plastic trays as they should be banned !!)

1) Ensure surface for tray is level and dust free.
2) Put the tray in dry and check tops of tray to ensure it's level, done check in the tray as there is a built in fall.
3) When you are happy all is level cut out floor for waste trap etc.
4) Use silicone (3 tubes min) to stick it down.
5) Slab walls so the slab is on top of upstand or into tray, depending on tray.
6) Tile walls so tile is ontop of tray
7) Before putting up the door seal the wall joints and where the tray meets the tiles with sanitary silicone (most plumbers won't because a tube is about €8 compared to €2 for normal silicone.
8) Put up door, silicone behind profile when mounting.
9) Important to let the silicone dry for 24h before using.

When a tray is put in exactly as above you will never have problem or have to re-seal the shower. 9/10 times a tray leaks it's due to movement which is why putting a tray on a plinth is pure and utter lazyness unless it's omn a concrete floor e.g. an apartment !!

BTW Any plumber worth his salt can silicone anything in a bathroom. The sign of a good plumber is when the silicone sealant is barely noticeable and not just lashed on carelessly..

http://www.dbh.ie

Last edited by a moderator:
Back