Shower head blocked with limescale?

gebbel

The spray quality from the shower head is very poor. It's more like taking a shower under a running tap. A friend suggested a limescale blockage. How can I clear this?

Nailbrush? If it's an ongoing problem affecting this, kettle, washing machine etc. then you may need to look at a water softener solution.

Any good hardware shop should have HG hagesan blue, works brilliantly on shower heads just follow the instructions, I got it in Woodies around €12 for 1 litre.

There are quite a few threads here which mention an array of products/solutions. Just type 'limescale' into the search box and take a browse.
Leo

Vinegar! I soak the shower heads in a jug of vinegar every few months and it works brilliantly.

This happens to my shower head as well - every couple of weeks, we soak it in limescale remover or vinegar....

The limescale is probably also affecting the inside of your shower. Every couple of months, the temperature on our shower goes mad alternating between hot and cold every few seconds! There is a small filter inside the shower that normally needs to be soaked in something when this happens - because it is so clogged with limescale as well!

yes vinegar will do the job, just put enough vinegar in a jug so it will cover the complete head when you immerse it and suggest you leave it overnight or for as long as possible. i remember my mum used to keep two showerheads so when one was soaking we would use the other one and vice versa.

Ideally when finished using the showerhead, you should flush the hot water out of the hose and shower head.This prevents the build up of limescale.

This would be more important for electric shower and the limescale will build up on the heater.

lemon juice in a bag with the shower head in it and leave it soaking for a hour... so Kim and Aggie say...

Back