shower and electricity bill

lanie

Our e.bill seems really high and when we thought of all the things we use it seems to be coming down to the electric shower thats causing the bill. I watched the meter when we pulled the electric cord and it does speed up but when we actually put the shower on the meter goes round much quicker than we expected. It moved on approx 7 units for a 10 minute shower. Any advice appreciated.

Electric Showers normally run in the Range of 9kw to 12kw.

If your shower is 12kw, then 1 hour will consume 12kw, therefore a 10 minute shower will consume 12kw/6 = 2kw.

A kilowatt of electricity costs maybe 15 or 16 cents.

Therefore your shower would cost between 30 and 40 cents for a 10 minute shower.

You say you consumed 7kw during a 10 minute shower, if you were using just one shower alone, this is not possible.
For one shower to consume 7kw in 10 minutes, it would need to be a 42kw shower, and I've never seen an electric shower over 12kw.

Pulling the cord should consume no electricity, because there is no load, turning on the electric shower produced the load.

Maybe you had other high drain appliances on at the same time as you were having the shower i.e. emersion, electric cooker, geothermal heat pump, 10 electric kettles ?

The only way of conducting the text accurately is to note the kws used in a 10 minute period with the shower off. During this period make absolutely no changes in any electrical switches, then turn the shower on for 10 minutes once again making no changes to any electrical switches. Then note the difference between the readings !!!

Back