Should we report someone dumping in skip?

my2leftfeet

We have a skip outside our house and somebody dumped 3 bags of ordinary household rubbish in it obviously to avoid paying €6 for a bin tag. We have returned the rubbish to them [their name and address was on lots of documents] and they were quite brazen about it - denied all knowledge etc. We would like to report them as surely this is illegal dumping. Also we know they are loaded. What would you do?

Being loaded is irrelevant

You should have kept the rubbish as evidence and then rung the Council - let them look after it.

We probably should have rung council - but didn't. My other half was furious and wanted to confront them directly.
Is there any point in reporting them at this stage? It always amazes me that some people with loads of money can be so tight.

my2leftfeet said:
some people with loads of money can be so tight.
One of the reasons why they've loads of money, unfortunately...
From what you've said, what they've done is a criminal act, punishable by considerable fines. I don't recommend taking them to court over it, but they're not to know that you haven't taken photographs of their bin-bags in the skip and kept some of the name-and-address stuff. Call in and (calmly!) explain their options to them, and invite them to amend their ways...

Ringing the CoCo will achieve nothing.

If this ever happens, ring the council straight away. They will send someone out within a day or two to investigate. I know this as a result of rubbish being dumped in a friend's wheelie bin when they were out at work.
Leo

my2leftfeet said:
It always amazes me that some people with loads of money can be so tight.

As Bill Gates once said 'You dont get rich by writing a load of cheques!'

It's just too tempting! We hired a skip for E500 in February to clear out a house we had just bought.

We filled the skip half full on the first day and when we returned the second day the skip was full of rubbish from the entire neighbourhood!!!

We tried to find out whose rubbish it was, but to no avail. We had to have the skip removed as the day after that people were leaving junk beside the skip as there was no more space inside.

Had to order a second smaller skip, fill it and have it removed on the same day to avoid the free-for-all!