Should we recall TDs?

VOR

Before next month's election in the UK, the three main parties have agreed in principle upon a "recall" system for MPs. Labour want it for corrupt MPs only. The Cons want it if 10% of the electorate are unhappy. The Lib Dems are saying 5%.

If it is 10% or 5% in this country we'll have people going to the polls every week! But aside from the the % required to recall, do people think this is a good idea? It certainly sounds great but does it give power to local groups to hijack the national work of TDs and ministers?

Should we fear the "bring him home, he's doin' nottin for us down here" brigade??

I think 75% would be the best figure.

If government support in a pre-agreed independent survey falls before 25% than a recall should be possible.

You mention the government. Do you mean recalling the entire lot? I was just speaking of individual TDs where constituents are dissatisfied with his/her performance.

I like the idea in theory but fear that it could lead to local issues out-weighing the national good. By that I mean if a minister decides to make the tough choices and puts the national interest ahead of the interests of his/her own county. Whats to stop the locals hauling that TD out and sending another Healy Rae to the Dail?

Back