Should we go to small claims court

J

JJL

Bought an oak table (which is solid oak legs and surround but veneer central panel) just over 2 years ago. After 18 months veneer panel started bulging up in one corner. Rang shop to be told 12 month guarantee no chance of investigation. Few weeks later decided to try again as I was so annoyed about it. Spoke with another person who at least sought pictures etc. this time I emailed the manufacturer also who examined photos and said bulging was due to moisture.

My argument is that I only wiped the table with a damp cloth - no excess or prolonged exposure to moisture so table was not fit for purpose. Manufacturer says they give shop 2 year guarantee which includes time goods are stored by shop before being sold. As we are now outside 2 year period they are not entertaining me.

I feel as I rang shop after 18 months and the fact you could reasonably expect a table to last longer than that we have an argument. Any opinions??

Id exhaust all avenues, no harm in writing calm letter to shop stating all the facts clearly and what you would like to happen, mentioning fact to them you will use the small claims court if issue not resolved. Contact Consumer Connect for their advice, they've a sample complaint letter on their website. Was the table an expensive one?

If the central veneer panel is removable, you could just get a piece of oak, granite etc made to fit the space (same people do when glass table breaks) but I suppose you are thinking why should I have to do this when table only 2 years old. Good luck with it.

We used the threat of the Small Claims Court with a shop refusing to refund goods which weren't fit for purpose bought. The clincher was when we pointed out the cost to us of a claim, should the verdict go against us - and the cost to them of winning.

I stress we had a legitimate argument, and were full-sure we were entitled to our refund.