Should Votes get them jobs?

bskinti

That's the question or is it the way it should be? what I'm saying is, if an elected TD got say 12,000 first preference votes should he not be automatically entitled to a ministers job, There are only 7 people that got more than this in FF, see will they get 7 top jobs,They are Cowan, O'Dea, Smith, Brennan, Brown, Ahern, and Dempsey, thats over 100,000 first votes to make them the most popular TD's, Will the jobs follow? that's if a FF gov is formed. What do you all think?, should this be the way or not or is it fixed some other way?

The Finance minister should be chosen because he's the best TD for the job, not because of a lack of vote management in the Offaly consituency, for example. Plus the idea seems to ignore the point of the PR system in the first place.

That's the question or is it the way it should be? what I'm saying is, if an elected TD got say 12,000 first preference votes should he not be automatically entitled to a ministers job
No - because different constituencies have different populations, electorates, turnouts, quotas etc.
There are only 7 people that got more than this in FF, see will they get 7 top jobs,They are Cowan, O'Dea, Smith, Brennan, Brown, Ahern, and Dempsey, thats over 100,000 first votes to make them the most popular TD's,
Not always popular with their running mates if they don't agree to split the vote to favour multiple candidates from the same party getting in!

Sounds like a rubbish way to choose the cabinet, for reasons already outlined above.

If you follow the logic, Dermot Ahern should be punished by being demoted from cabinet because he made sure that his running mate Seamus Kirk got elected, instead of maximising his personal vote.

I thought that, possibly incorrectly, that it's good to have a person in a Ministry who knows a little of what they're looking after. A Doctor in Health, Teacher in Education, Ex-Forces in Defence etc. I remember one time it was so bad that a guy who didn't even have a bank account was in charge of finance, allegedly.

You get in the running for a ministerial job according to how many TDs you can bring in with you in your consitituency - makes sense.