Should Tracker Mortgages be Taxed ?

What is the definition of a Tracker - after all, don't SVR rates use a rate (or added-to) which the lender has calculated based on tracking the market?

We already do that for the Public Sector. It's called general taxation. Why not just get us to pay for the rest of it as well?

I think we should definitely impose an additional tax on anybody that enters into (what turns out to be) a good bargain. Why should they get all the breaks?

Good judgment should definitely be heavily taxed.

Brilliant!

Reminds me of when I joined my golf club a few years ago and a member was giving out yards about how much he had to pay to join compared to what I had to pay. I was so close to saying "Ah that's terrible. Who forced you to pay that?"

Don't understand taxing trackers , took out a mortgage 2004 not in negative equity and on tracker rate.
One thing I don't understand is the TRS ( tax relief on the interest ) I'm not sure why I and others should be entitled to this I don't need it and I understand it's only for mortgages which where taken out during a certain period . It's unfair and I'd be annoyed if I had a mortgage and was not receiving it while others are .

Couldn't agree more Fella - TRS should have been phased out years ago. It's a complete waste of taxpayers' money.

The really mad thing is the extension of TRS beyond 2017 for those that drew down mortgages between 2004-2012 was one of the key issues that FF insisted on in negotiating the supply and confidence agreement with FG.

Go figure.

Definitely agreed on that. I saw that "policy" on the FF literature before the election and it sounded daft then. I "benefit" from it as I took out a mortgage in 2005 but at what cost? The benefit to me at this stage is marginal - it was a fatuous exercise in looking like they had the best interest of the poor people in negative equity at heart I was most annoyed to find that it made it's way into the programme for government. I can think of far more important issues than lobbing a few quid towards people 8-12 years into a mortgage.