Should second hand car waranty cover flashing ABS light?

NicolaM

Hi everyone,
I am just about to bring my boyfriend's car back to the dealer where he bought it. There a a few things the dealer has to repair on it.
There is a 3 month warranty on the car.
The ABS light has been flashing intermittently on the dash since the car was bought 2 weeks ago (second hand 2002 ford Mondeo). When my boyfriend mentioned this, he was brushed aside by the dealer, it appears.
Does anyone know if the dealer should (or are required) fix this on warranty?
I would prefer to know because if they should, I will politely insist that they do.
If however, this sort of electrical stuff isn't generally covered by warranty , I will just mention it and see what they say.
Thanks for opinions

Nicola

Of course they should.The least they could do is get the ecu "read" to find out what the fault is.(most likely a wheel sensor)

What was covered in the written 3-month warranty? They usually have exclusions e.g. tyres, battery, brake components, etc)

They may try to weasel out on the ABS being part of the brakes, BTW its not, and it may just be a sensor.

Last edited:
Cheers guys
The exclusions for warranty were standard, as far as I know (e.g. clutch not covered). I will need to read the full bit of paper to see exactly what was excluded (this is my boyfriend's car, so I don't have the paperwork).
I brought the car to him, and had a chat about the ABS light being on: He seemed a bit shifty, saying he wasn't sure he would have enough time to check it out while he has the car in doing some other repairs.
I suspect a valid point about safely issues can be made to him if he is baulking at fixing this (I have already said this to him): i.e. it may just be a sensor, but if the ABS isn't actually working, that could be dangerous (and hopefully that is a true statement, rather than me just assuming that that is the case, which I have done!! Please correct me if this is completely incorrect..).
Thanks Mathepac for the fact the ABS isn't part of the brakes, worthwhile knowing for when I'm speaking to him again, especially in terms of exclusions from the warranty.
Thanks for your advise too Caff, I can bandy 'wheel sensor' into my conversation when I'm talking to him again.

Nicola

Ordinary brakes i.e. non abs are always available even if the abs light is flashing.Push him to getting the ecu read and at least you'll know more about the cause of the flashing light.Its an nct failure too.Removing the bulb won't work because the tester looks for it to illuminate for the required 3-5 seconds before extinguishing.