Should I use the same real estate agent for buying and selling?

homeseller

Would you use the same real estate to buy a property and sell your own? We are wondering if the real estate agent will be more motivated if we sell with them to close a sale to assist in purchase? Thank you!

Would you use the same real estate to buy a property and sell your own?

Once the real estate person is motivated it shouldn't make a difference. You should meet with a few different estate agents in relation to selling your property, including costs and how well that agent is doing in the sales market. In these times, it may be difficult to meet EAs and get valuations done, sort out viewings etc, so if you are selling your own place in the near future, then you can see what online coverage the EAs have, just photos, or have walk through videos, etc.

If you are using the same EA to sell your own and purchase a new property, then you may be able to get some discount on their commission for the sale of your house.

I used the same EA in a sale / purchase in recent months, without issue.

If you're selling first, they'll be reassured that you are not in a chain and have funds available, but in my experience I wouldn't be expecting them to do you too many favours. As above, they might give you a discount on the commission rate, but if they think someone else will give them €500 more on the property you're looking to buy, they'll take it. They have a legal obligation to the vendor.

Do I understand that you are looking at buying a particular property and thinking of using that EA to sell your existing house.

It would certainly give the EA a motivation to shift yours, he would get two jobs done together.

When you are buying the new home they might know a little bit more about your personal circumstances that you’d like from a negoation on purchase price POV - like “don’t them them but I have 10k more to buy this if needed”

There is an argument for keeping them separated as transactions and your “saving” is likely to be removed by having a weaker hand in the murky dealings at the end.

We have a choice of 3 real estate agents.

The first EA is well established and is selling the house we wish to buy. They seem fine (they're a chain of EA) but we were wondering if it would be best to separate the two transactions out. We would be one of a number of properties they have on their books.
We also have a family friend (an estate agent) who is very motivated to help us sell but not sure what he's really like on the business end...We know he would put us first but we've never seen him in action.
The 3rd EA came recommended and focuses a lot on house staging.. he priced our home the lowest of the three.

Not much difference in commission. The third agent has a commission which rises to 1.5 if the house sells for 50k over the asking..

Thank you for the responses. Great to get thoughts here.

We have a choice of 3 real estate agents.

The first EA is well established and is selling the house we wish to buy. They seem fine (they're a chain of EA) but we were wondering if it would be best to separate the two transactions out. We would be one of a number of properties they have on their books.
We also have a family friend (an estate agent) who is very motivated to help us sell but not sure what he's really like on the business end...We know he would put us first but we've never seen him in action.
The 3rd EA came recommended and focuses a lot on house staging.. he priced our home the lowest of the three.

Not much difference in commission. The third agent has a commission which rises to 1.5 if the house sells for 50k over the asking..

Thank you for the responses. Great to get thoughts here.
Personally id be reluctant to go with the family friend unless you were clear on what they had to offer regarding advertisement of property, experience selling similar properties etc. Think about how long they are in the business, if house may need natuonal exposure can they do that, do they have support people to deal with enquiries etc.
Look at each of their websites, facebook pages, myhome/daft and also look at property price register.
I wouldn't overly worry about staging as its a sellers market right now. Obviously have the house clear, grass cut, if some area need a lick of paint get it done but dont go overboard.
Ask them.how they would approach the sale, what they would pitch it at, how they will svhedule viewings and expected turnaround time.
Best of luck

Back